facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

The Trials of The Vintage Motorcycle Restorer. A Grand Tale of Woe.

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
You are most welcome.
13 Aug 2023 08:38 #151

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The German guy is almost certainly making those parts, using a silicone mould, and 2 part rubber, used for making things like classic car pedal rubbers. Probably quite a good moneymaker, as the material costs are very low?
13 Aug 2023 10:13 #152

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
He could make them out of the contents of his nasal cavities for all I care, so long as they worked.
He certainly got me out of a tight spot.
It says in the blurb that the shore scale of his parts are identical to the originals..
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, OldBlue77
13 Aug 2023 10:30 #153

Yes what you can make or duplicate today is awesome I’ve made gears for work before using silicone molds still works probably 3 yrs ago 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
13 Aug 2023 10:39 #154

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
So the sun came out and a test ride was on the cards, which went without trouble. I was allowing it to rev through the gears, but avoiding full throttle operation.

Another ride out occurred and I was riding it normally. Since it will not pull full throttle in top gear because of it being overgeared for the road, I just let it get to 50 - 55mph (5000 - 5500 rpm), and roll off till it maintains speed only. Just wasting fuel and wearing the engine trying to go faster.

Back home. Remembered the headlamp not working. Flicked it on to test again.... Nothing. Damn and blast.
Looked at the switch labels closely and switched the on off switch on instead of the dip/ main switch and headlight came on.. DOH!

I had it in my head that the outer was on off, and inner was dip/main and never checked because I fully expected the devil bike to screw with my head again, wheh I thought the problems had finally been addressed.

Not the case. Nothing wrong with the headlight all along, it was the feeble light bulb in my head, along with the paranoia that was the problem.

Light switch is opposite to what I thought intuitively. My VFR750 main/dip is at the top of the left switch in the same position as the on off switch on the DT. Perhaps this is what caused the confusion.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

[/url]

One more test run to help someone out suffering from a lack of rpm was on the cards.
Since I was about to be giving full throttle in a lower gear, I gave the oil pump max output another test - it was fine and set out.

Full throttle in fourth gear made 7250rpm, according to the tach, but I have a feeling the tach is lagging a bit.
It did not sound strangled, just run out of steam and sounded like very high rpm.

I have reason to suspect the tach is not telling the truth.

When it is idling, the needle tends to waver up and down a bit by about 300 rpm.
I set idle speed at the bottom reading of its little tantrum.

Cable ( new) is lubed with moly grease with only the top 4 inches left with standard lube on it and is routed according to the good book. Yet the wavering continues. Just like a broken cable.
Nothing I can do about that. I will ignore it.

Once I got home and let the bike cool, I pulled the plug to check the colour in "everyday" riding conditions. Not a difinitive high speed plug chop, but a good indication.
Pre new liner, the plug colour was milk chocolate brown.

After new liner, the plug colour is a light tan.

That is close enough for me. No more messing with jets or anything else.

The demon has been exorcised and we come to the end of this tale....
Or have we?

Hope you enjoyed the read.

I can concentrate fully on the " new addition" thread now.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
15 Aug 2023 09:35 #155

And now for an encore picture of the blue Devil?
I enjoyed the read!
Sneezles61
15 Aug 2023 14:29 #156

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT360Fan, Swoop56, Ht1kid, LongStride, Sneezles61, hackman101
15 Aug 2023 14:37 #157

nice. Great read
18 Aug 2023 08:48 #158

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
The final twist to the tale....

This morning, finally got to give the bike a full throttle run over a mile and cut the motor.  The plug was showing it to be very rich at the top end.  Hmm.
Back home I had a think.  I had noticed the DT100 had the same main jet as the 175.  Since genuine Mik jets are very hard to come by in the UK, this particular carb and parts show as discontnued in the Yamaha main dealers and the only easy source of mikuni jets are the spurious ones, mine had a spurious jet fitted.

It had been noted that this site hates spurious jets, so I thought I would try the one from the DT100.  Pulled the jets, gave both the DT100 jet and my emulsion tube a quick turn in the ultrasonic bath and fitted them both back in the carb.

God it ran absolutely horrible, would not rev past 5000 rpm and was four stroking badly.  I thought I had left the choke on...

Back home, pulled the plug and it was blacker than a Rolling Stone's door.... and wet.

Pulled the carb once again and removed the jet for a closer look.  Yep, 130 size.  Closer inspection with one of my watchmakers loupes revealed that at some time in the past, some kid back in the US decided to "tune" his bike.  The orifice was badly chewed up inside.  Looks like it has been drilled out with a blunt object.

At least that is a bullet dodged on the DT100 resto in the future.

I recalled the demon had fitted a 120 main to the carb and all my literature said it should have been a 130, which I tut tutted over.  Silly old fool got it wrong again, and I had to order the correct 130 jet.

I decided to try the 120 to see what would happen.... 

Instant 10 - 15%  power gain.  Much more snap above 5000 rpm and it will hit the redline through the gears and hit 60mph in 5th.
Due to my overgearing, it will easily achieve around 55 -56mph in top at 5600rpm, where before it would easily achieve 50mph at 5000rpm, so a 6mph gain.
I dare not hold it too long on full throttle to see if it would gradually go faster as I was suspecting it running a bit weak and was concerned for my new piston.

All round it was more responsive.  Another full throttle run and it was time to pull the plug.  As I was undoing the plug, I noted the paint on the exhaust was smelling and looked like it was starting to heat cure further up the pipe than before.
Oh dear, have I cooked the piston?

Plug out and was expecting it to be scoured white on the porcelain, but no, it was a dark tan.  Not a light tan like the midrange, but not quite brown either.  So a safe colour.

I think this is as good as it gets on 2023 quality fuel.

So it appears my final post has me eating humble pie. 
I called him for fitting the wrong jet.  Could he not read a parts book?  I shook my head at his lack of research. 
It said right there in the good book specifications 130 - 140 main.
I snarled in the face of his bufoonery.  Why fit a jet a couple of sizes smaller than the one he removed?

Never mind, I being a superior being would put it right.

Only I got it wrong.  Obviously he removed a blocked 120 on that particular carb and replaced it like for like.

The old fecker has had the last laugh...... It is I that am the bufoon this time.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan, LongStride, msavitt, Sneezles61
Last edit: 20 Aug 2023 06:28 by Tinkicker.
20 Aug 2023 06:23 #159

Amazing story Tinkicker, you certainly have tenacity, great job on the bike!
2ET703 Central Texas
18 Dec 2023 15:10 #160

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart