facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

• hackman101
  • hackman101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by hackman101 on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

The saga continues.

I managed with the help of the forums, to get the new HPI CDI ignition set to my satisfaction, the wiring in place and the CDI box HOPEFULLY not too close to the ignition coil as is stated in the instructions. Another requirement was not near a heat source. I have an over the engine, crossover pipe, the wiring for the HPI system was not very long and could not be added to so it all went up under the tank.

This pic is when I was mocking up the arrangement, the orange box is now mounted with a metal strap bolted to the CDI box and the strap is clamped to the top bar. The coil stayed where it is at, but the spark plug wire did not set well in that position, so I turned the coil the other way so the wire clears the metal gussets better, and zip tied the spark plug cable so it is away from the CDI box as far as it can comfortably be away. 

I got everything strapped down and moved on to the final setting of the carb. Got that down, tightened up set the tank, hooked up the hoses. I am getting nervous, so it feels. Getting close to firing this rig up after sooooo many years. Moved the bike outside in case there were any leaks in the carb, and added the premix in the tank, turned the petcock and watched the fuel flow. A minute passes by and no leaks in the gaskets. A big relief. Then I saw it, the bottom hose with a small drip, the overflow. I know this is usually a sign of a stuck float, but the carb was just rebuilt, new float needle and seat, gaskets and a dip in carb cleaner before that.

I so much wanted to try to start it anyway, drips and all, but I held back and wheeled the bike back to my shop and parked it under the lean to roof, and posted my plight in the general forum. It seems the old carb may have a bad enough issue that could warrant a new carb.

More later....
1973 MX250
Past rides 45 years ago (and longer)
1964 Honda 50cc C110
1960s Yamaha 65cc scooter
1960s Honda 65cc w/ 90cc engine mashup
1971 DT1-E modified to MX kinda...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
27 Mar 2022 10:06 #81

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

Wow you've got great patience. I would've started it just because. A minor drip wouldn't matter at the moment. Were you intending to start it minus exhaust. Have earmuffs i hope.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: hackman101
28 Mar 2022 03:00 #82

Replied by akara1 on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

I usually try tapping the carburetor gently with a wrench or something to get the float needle to take a set in it's seat.
it's normal for them to drip after you first assemble them doesn't necessarily mean the float valve is bad.
a little vibration from the engine running in a couple small taps and the needle might find its home and stay that way
28 Mar 2022 09:45 #83

Reminded me of Joel Robert back in the "60s when his carb kept flooding up.

In the Italian Grand Prix, this summer, his CZ was plagued with carburetor trouble. In the first race, Joel was leading, when the engine started to four-stroke coming out of a slow bend. He would lose the lead going up a steep hill, then try to regain it again by holding the machine flat out down the other side. But at the finish, he was down to third place. In the second race, again he took the lead, again the carburetor started to play up, and again Robert was passed. Next time ’round, he pulled into the pits, found the biggest hammer in the tool box and “tuned” the motor by smashing it into three pieces!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RTD2, hackman101
28 Mar 2022 19:24 #84

Replied by rsteve56 on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

Nice work John, I hope you gave the CDI box enough clearance for the connector to clear that bracket if it rotates due to vibration. I might recommend a couple tack welds on your mounting bracket to keep it in place.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: hackman101
29 Mar 2022 11:31 #85

Good idea is to suspend the box in rubber something to isolate it from vibes.
29 Mar 2022 14:58 #86

• hackman101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

@ Rsteve56, to zip ties are temporary. I was desperate that day to try to fire it up and I did not have the hose clamp that was to keep it in place. I was sweating how close it is to the coil since the HPI instructions express do not get it too close to the HT lead.

Great news!!! It runs!!! I ran it three times so far to break it in. Crappy day weather wise but got most of the way through the break in procedure.

The overflow tube was repaired by soldering. That was a task on its own.

My wife to a pic or 2 of me riding it real easy on the third run of the break in process.

1973 MX250
1964 Honda 50cc C110
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RTD2, RT325, Sneezles61
Last edit: 03 Apr 2022 21:52 by hackman101. Reason: Added more info
03 Apr 2022 21:45 #87

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• hackman101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

@ RT325, About the exhaust. I did in my excitement of getting it running that day, I overlooked getting it on. So the leaking carb was kind of a blessing in disguise. I was really tempted to fire it up anyway, but since it was a first time firing, from the rebuild, I really didn't want that drip to carry on while it ran for 10 minutes for the first run of the break in. It would have been a bit scary for me.
1973 MX250
1964 Honda 50cc C110
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
03 Apr 2022 21:51 #88

Cool, any chance of a video oneday when you can let it loose. You'll be a happy camper just running it in after all the work.
05 Apr 2022 02:58 #89

• hackman101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I have 2 videos, one my wife took of me riding it on one of the break in runs, and one of the first time it fired up after a 40 or so year wait. I see the video section, but is there a way to add it to my post here? The video post uses a link to a website, which I have never done yet...
1973 MX250
1964 Honda 50cc C110
05 Apr 2022 06:11 #90

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart