facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Sad DT3

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Sad DT3

Very good to be reminded... I had a little trail bike all apart... Finally, its all together.. So today I took it around the block... I was very thankful it doesn't go fast... down our hill/driveway and a very sharp corner... into the woods.. through the neighbors yard... Back up to the garage... it does stop now... I could imagine this happening with this bigger bike coming up...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Sneezles61 
11 Jun 2021 13:07 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• apex
  • apex's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Replied by apex on topic Sad DT3

I've been scouring my "inventory" to bring the Sad DT3 along. DarinM contributed the RT3 tank, that's in darn good shape. Slowly coming together. Found a wire harness that will work too. Ordered up more Vintage Connections terminals to re-construct the harness & repair the butchered stator harness. 
You're right, not the right seat for the bike. But, being that it had no seat, the seat from my rider '71 DT1 will work. Just got a complete KDI seat from pan to cover for the '71, so this seat will work and "someday" I can get the correct seat.
You're also right that the keyhole tail lamp is not right. Look at that fender though, it's junk! So really doesn't matter that I drilled 2 holes and mounted an early AT/CT tail light on the bike. It was free after all!
Should have more progress to report by next weekend.

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
19 Jul 2021 08:25 #22

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Sad DT3

Looks like your sad DT-3 is gettin' a little happier, bit by bit.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
19 Jul 2021 13:08 #23

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Haven't done much with the Sad DT3, but have been squirreling away needed stuff. Sourced a carb from Woodman (thank you!!), found a complete airbox on ebay, found a semi-soft carb boot in "inventory" and even some clamps. Did the soda blast - brakeclean - tons of compressed air carb rebuild and mounted it all up. Feels like progress!

Made an exhaust bracket.

And new terminals on the end of the stator harness.

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., t-bone
24 Oct 2021 11:04 #24

This message has attachments images.

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Sad DT3 is getting close to a maiden voyage. Brakes have been checked and are good. Chain is on. But man the steering head bearings sounds like there's rocks in there instead of ball bearings. Upon disassembly, well I have a seriously messed up fork.

It took some heat and PB Blaster to get the fork tube to free up at all and move. Amazingly the bolt came right loose from the damper rod and then had to work the slider out, it was really bound up! Once out I could see why, there was white corrosion build up on the inside of the lower leg, causing the slider binding. I fashioned a sanding tool to whack the white corrosion off, and it worked pretty good (considering the state of this bike).

Put it all back together with "some oil" and now at least there's some fork "action." Whacked the surface rust off the fork tube...lipstick on a pig really.

And with head bearings regreased and front end back on, might be time to see if the bike will run under its own power this weekend.

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
Last edit: 10 Nov 2021 16:06 by apex.
10 Nov 2021 16:04 #25

This message has attachments images.

Replied by adguy2112 on topic Sad DT3

Love the makeshift honing tool. I did something similar for the rusty front and wheel brake drums on my CT1 by using a dremel drum sander and a drill then finished with fine grit by hand. Good luck this weekend! Looking good. 
10 Nov 2021 16:18 #26

Replied by darinm on topic Sad DT3

I'd ponder using a good epoxy on that fork leg and sanding it back down, to fill in the pits from the rust. At least if you have some laying around and it wouldn't be a fresh investment. Good to see it getting close!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
10 Nov 2021 18:35 #27

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Darin those forks are good enough for now. Not stuck is better.

With the chain on, time to take it out to the street start it and see what happens. It struggled to fire but did. I knew the clutch plates would be stuck (and they were) so pushed off and clicked first and away it went! The not as sad DT3 has all it's gears, stops well with either brake, and after riding with the clutch in, getting some heat to it and dropping into first & second while rolling the clutch did finally pop (there's some fresh Maxima 10-40 in the crankcase. Rode it back in the garage, fiddled with the air screw & idle speed and damn if it didn't settle out nice.

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., t-bone, Pete-RT1, Sneezles61, adguy2112
Last edit: 18 Nov 2021 18:21 by apex.
18 Nov 2021 18:20 #28

Replied by t-bone on topic Sad DT3

That is soooo hot. You are truly skilled my friend!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: apex, Rick C.
19 Nov 2021 12:07 #29

Replied by msavitt on topic Sad DT3

Nice bike 

This image is hidden for guests.

hardly “sad” thanks to your handiwork I would say it’s “happy “
20 Nov 2021 18:41 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart