facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Oil in the combustion chamber

• MK19
  • MK19's Avatar Topic Author

Oil in the combustion chamber was created by MK19

Just got a 72 RT2 360. On starting the bike there is a lot of smoke and some oil sprayed from a poorly sealed exhaust manifold onto the back of the front fender. The bike won’t run at idle. Taking out the plugs I see they are covered in oil. Is this a piston ring issue?
20 Jan 2021 14:29 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

Did it sit for a long time before you got it and started it up? Did you dump out the pipe, and was there oil standing in the pipe? Sometimes the oil bleeds through the system from the tank while sitting a long time and winds up collecting in the pipe right in front of the exhaust port. Detach the pipe, dump it out, and it there's a lot of oil, burn the pipe out to get a lot of the deposits out of the pipe.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
20 Jan 2021 15:02 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

Hi, i answered on your other post. Won't be rings though as what goes into the crankcase gets shot up top to be burnt.
20 Jan 2021 15:41 #3

Replied by msavitt on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

run the hell out of it, I bet it clears up!
just make sure the lube pump is bled and working properly
The following user(s) Liked this Post: turbodan
20 Jan 2021 16:04 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

Not a piston ring issue. Two stroke is lubricated by oil mixed into fuel either in the fuel tank (premix) or by an injection pump (Autolube).

What tends to happen on a bike that's been sitting is the oil in the Autolube tank siphons past the check valve in the Autolube pump filling the engine with oil. Like was said, a good run will usually blow and burn out the excess oil and you'll be fine.

Sometimes the problem can be a wet side crank seal that allow oil from the transmission to be drawn in to the engine. You can check the transmission oil and see if level drops as you ride (assuming you have no external leaks) and/or sometimes the transmission oil will smell like fuel.

Most common is the excess Autolube condition filling up the crankcase as mentioned above though.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
20 Jan 2021 16:25 #5

Replied by turbodan on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

Could be an overly rich condition contributing to the problem. Lot of smoke, oil spraying out and not wanting to idle all point that direction.

These carbs are easy to access and easy to go through. That's a good first step with these old bikes, in conjunction with an oil change and fresh air filter.
20 Jan 2021 17:14 #6

• MK19

Replied by MK19 on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

Thanks for commenting. It has been sitting for some time. Having removed the pipe there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of oil in there. When you say "burn" the pipe can you elaborate on what you mean please?
22 Jan 2021 07:48 #7

• MK19

Replied by MK19 on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

Thanks for all the advice, I will check out the autolube settings and then see if I can run it a little longer, see if it clears the problem up.
22 Jan 2021 07:50 #8

Replied by bosco659 on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

If it starts but doesn’t like to run at lower speeds, I’d do a good carb cleaning. The fact that it runs suggests the ignition is good. Then I’d take it for a good ride and that may burn off much of the oil in the engine. If the exhaust in oil saturated you may need to burn it off with a propane torch. Another way is to stick it in the bbq with open ends pointing upward. Just don’t let the wife see you doing this. Paint will be burned off but is a pretty easy re-spray. I do this sometimes with 2 stroke muffler from small engines. Once burned off, tapping the side will loosen carbon off and can be shaken out. Be prepared for a major smoke show though. Good luck with your project.
22 Jan 2021 08:06 #9

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Oil in the combustion chamber

Literally put it on a campfire, or a BBQ grill, or direct a high temperature heat gun through it, or a torch to burn out old deposits of oil and carbon residue. Smokes up the neighborhood, so you may want to choose another location than your back yard, if you live in the city...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
22 Jan 2021 08:08 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart