facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Upgrade for Powerdynamo (Vape) ignition

• Franjo
  • Franjo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi there!
I like the powerdynamo ignition which I bought in 2016 for my RT. Warm bike needs one kick, cold bike needs three and the 12V light is nice. But I was not very satisfied with the idle after the conversion. Too often the engine simply quit during idle. Especially when it was hot. Changing the pilot jet was also unsuccessful. Only raising idle to over 1600rpm made an improvement. But I didn’t like that and it started less good.
Some time ago here I read about a heavier alternative flywheel from Powerdynamo. But that is quiet expensive. So I decided to raise the weight of my lighter Powerdynamo flywheel to the weight of the origin Yamaha flywheel.
From a part of a huge steel tube and with a little help of my lathe I fabricated a steel ring which snugged over the Powerdynamo flywheel. I secured it with JB Weld. Now I’ve three seasons with it. The idle now runs with 1400 rpm.
Unfortunately I’ve forgotten the weight different between the Powerdynamo and the Yamaha Flywheel. But I think it was about 400grams (14oz).

With regards
Franjo
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, RT325, KJB, JayB, Gr8uncleal
03 Dec 2020 00:36 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Upgrade for Powerdynamo (Vape) ignition

Very ingenious, and with a long term test to back it up. :likey

Have you given feedback to the manufacturer?
03 Dec 2020 01:39 #2

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by RT325 on topic Upgrade for Powerdynamo (Vape) ignition

Good idea. I also have a brass overlay one on one of mine & makes a nice lazy but still powerful motor. Mine is extra weight on top of an original 360 flywheel.
03 Dec 2020 02:10 #3

Replied by JayB on topic Upgrade for Powerdynamo (Vape) ignition

One thing to know is that the 'moment of inertia' is proportional to mass times the distance to center squared. So while the weight you added to the new flywheel totals the same mass as the original, the added weight is farther from the center than the stock flywheel. So you are probably getting more flywheel effect than stock, even though the weight is the same.

But what is important is that you are happy from a seat of the pants perspective and you solved the idle problem! Good job, thanks for sharing! I may copy you if I have the same idle problem, which is the most sincere form of flattery!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Midlife Motor
03 Dec 2020 05:56 #4

Replied by mdscott on topic Upgrade for Powerdynamo (Vape) ignition

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Franjo
03 Dec 2020 17:37 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Upgrade for Powerdynamo (Vape) ignition

Good point on the Moment of Inertia but pretty sure Powerdynamo flywheel is smaller OD than stock flywheel as well as being lighter.

When I was working with the original Powerdynamo, they had several flywheels and weights that all worked with the same stator... At least 3 different ones. One of them is about 4 pounds. I tested the two lighter ones for the 175's.

The way it worked was they would make up the kit with the dimensions and such that a customer requested... including flywheel weight. Any of the flywheel weights could be machined to fit the crank and the same stator was used for all. The very lightest flywheel had smaller magnets so less lighting wattage and had a different CDI box to match the smaller magnets. (Different size capacitor was used in the CDI box) The medium and heavy flywheels had same light output and CDI box.

I don't know about now that VAPE has taken over but when Edgar owned the company you could ask for any of the (at least) three flywheel weights that were available. I'm pretty sure the 360 has a medium weight and there is a heavier one you might be able to order.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
03 Dec 2020 17:56 #6

Replied by mdscott on topic Upgrade for Powerdynamo (Vape) ignition

Flywheel DT.

When I bought the vape for my Bultaco there were two flywheels available.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
Last edit: 03 Dec 2020 18:10 by mdscott.
03 Dec 2020 18:07 #7

This message has attachments images.

• Franjo
  • Franjo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Franjo on topic Upgrade for Powerdynamo (Vape) ignition

In the past I bought about 7 or 8 of these ignitions (72 38 799 DC) from Edgar. He told me that I can also use the heavier version (73 45 799 00) of 1,9kg which they offered for the TY250. But this version was about 100$ more expensive. The 72 38 799 AC was made for alternative current and use without battery.
Also had one for a Kawasaki 500 H1 from them and for several Yamaha XT's. The flywheel for the Kawa looks pretty much like the ones we use on the DT/RT's. But the cones naturally are machined different. I think they don't make so many different flywheels there. Only make the cones different.
I attach the photo from the old Powerdynamo page which was taken over from Vape after Edgars disease:
www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/lists/yamaha.php
But to be honest ... they were always produced by Vape in Czechia. And Powerdynamo was their best Distributor settled in Germany.
05 Dec 2020 01:55 #8

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart