facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

• shyted
  • shyted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie ) was created by shyted

Happy new year you people out there !
So today as it's new years day, I started with buying a load of stuff off KDI rubber for the bikes here at Teds Towers.Then on to some electrolysis .
Then i pulled the purple Ronnie out and set about degreasing the decades of dirt from the wee beastie that have resided down the back of the engine and rear of the oil tank. All the bikes i have here have all suffered the same thing with the battery spewing its contents out at some point and attacking the lower rear mudguard, the battery box and frame/swinging arm.
Removed the body work,exhaust then took the engine out .
Pushed it into the house then and carried on stripping so basically now all i have to do is drop the front out,remove the bearings.Remove the back wheel and rear shocks , pull the pin from the swinging arm,remove the bushes then off to the powder coating man.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pillsbury, kenbrough
01 Jan 2018 14:21 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

Love that purple color [mine is green, sort of emerald green but tanks stuffed--beyond stuffed so have a plastic xr honda tank on just because--because i had one lol.. You might've seen mine & is pretty much as found, rusting away under a wet creeper covered wet embankment but goes as good as new--55mph all day after unseizing the piston stuck in the bore, or probably was rings rusted to the bore, never took it apart [lazy] just forced the flywheel with my holding tool & oil down plug hole trick. Can't beat hearing that first start up!!. Anyway, hope your resto goes well & admire all you guys for what you do in resto's. Maybe i'm too lazy, too old, or just over it from working in a Yam shop for a lifetime but still get my kicks from getting something running good that's theoreticaly past it. Suppose you're cold up there but we're sweltering & muggy down here in NZ except rain clouds looming, changes unpredictably lately. We were in south wales [st clears] this time last year & was cold 'as'. Cheers.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2018 15:48 by RT325.
01 Jan 2018 15:46 #2

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by shyted on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

I've had this running and it's fine. Looking up the exhaust port,it looks like the rings have been held back as the top ring is right in there and the bottom one flexible. Still not bad for a bike that's 46 yrs old . Just something about this wee bike .
I'd like to know what paint that people have used on the cases . Something to stop oil and fuel destroying the finish.
01 Jan 2018 17:10 #3

Replied by teamster6 on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

I think most are useing duplicolor de1615 silver engine enamel on side cases fenders ect. If you want them really fuel resistant you could spray them with spraymax clear coat. Hang on to that ht1 they are getting really hard to find. I have a 1970 model which was the first yamaha I owned many years ago.

t6
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
02 Jan 2018 07:43 #4

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

Gotta say again, Ted, how much I like having you Great Brits on the site and reading your expressions! As I said to you in another of your threads, it takes me back to when I was a "wee beastie," myself! :ROFLOL
02 Jan 2018 08:58 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

Absolutely.... I personally get a chuckle out of the "ted" username... :)
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
02 Jan 2018 16:35 #6

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Yes T6 your right you know. I can't believe the interest this little bike has sparked off.
Some pals of mine came round to have a nosey at it and were dumbfounded by it demure size.
Comments from them, " So what is it then"?, " where's that from"? " Hell fire it's in right good nick intit ( that's got to be said in a North of England dialect to get the right twang) which refers to it's condition for it's age.
I have to admit , it drew my beady eye the first time i saw it . It just said " take me home and you won't regret it" if you know what i mean.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465
03 Jan 2018 01:19 #7

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Just a quick catch up.
Stripped back to the frame and stripped the forks down.
04 Jan 2018 06:17 #8

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

thanks T6. Found this product for sale in the UK at £20.00 per tin. The fact it's that price says to me it must be top swag!
Oh yes while i think on,the mudguards had loads of ripples in . So i got a body work hammer and knocked them out. Having them epoxy primer coated then filling them in with isopon Alufill. Cracking stuff that.If you take your time , you can actually machine that stuff.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2018 11:15 by shyted.
04 Jan 2018 10:46 #9

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Quick update.
Stripped the engine. Due to the prolonged time the bike has stood,every screw was corroded in.They're a bugger to get out in one piece as they're soft as cream cheese . The con rod is stuffed at the little end with the surface degraded and tram lined. The mains are dry and noisy.
All to be expected .
Cases,carb and head are going for aqua blasting and the exterior cases are rubbed down for paint.
I pick the frame up later during the coming week as in four hours i have to return to work at the on shore office in Aberdeen for four days..
Will post some pics next week.
The seat and rear shocks continue to elude me
Ted.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, Pillsbury
Last edit: 03 Feb 2018 23:28 by shyted.
03 Feb 2018 23:24 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart