facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Salisbury Plain and UK TET

• Pete-RT1
  • Pete-RT1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Salisbury Plain and UK TET

Amazing four day 413 mile round trip completed.
A few challenges on the way (all part of the fun).
Bikes and riders performed really well, Bernie's AT1 had a condenser failure 35 miles into the trip, but thanks to his wife dropping off a spare, we only lost a couple of hours.
The gear lever on the AT1 was a little more susceptible to catching whilst riding the deep ruts and we had to straighten it on a couple of occasions.
Day one was 117 miles and a good mix of trails, country lanes and roads.
We spent our first night camping just around the corner from Gr8uncleal, so we popped in to see him and Gr8auntiepat and to admire his bike collection.
Day two we hit fresh trails of varying difficulty and over every crest we seemed to be greeted by yet another stunning view.
As we negotiated a tricky long descent with deep ruts, large rocks and lots of gravel I was thankful we were not riding up it, hold that thought.
Later in the day we hit the only ascent that we had to manhandle the bikes. The huge step-up along the rocky track was too much for the bikes to manage so between the two of us we manged to get them over the obstacle and carried on under bike power to the top, feeling a bit knackered but very satisfied.
Rest of the day was more trails and country lanes, the mirror on Bernie's AT1 falling off, a stop off at Beer on the coast before we made camp at Branscombe Airfield & Camping.
Lots of interest in the bikes and what we were doing from people at the campsite.
We met a lovely Welsh family who lent us forks for our takeaway dinner and invited us to join them and a few others around their campfire for the evening. Rob, the dad was great company and had some funny stories to tell.
Next morning Rob made us coffee and was even kind enough to give the Greenie a push after being reluctant to kick start (very unusual). A little shove down the slope of the camping field and the Greenie fired into life, much to my relief and a lot of smiling campers watching my efforts.
Day three was a challenging day for navigation. The gpx file we have for the TET gives the route in a clockwise direction and when you stray from the trail will try to put you back on route. Our problem seemed to be getting the phone app to understand we were cutting north to pick up another part of the TET route.
We persevered for a while but weren't really making the progress we wanted too so made the decision to navigate without the TET route and pick it back up again later after putting some miles on the clock.
With our day one route we missed a chunk of the trail when we diverted to visit Gr8uncleal, so we decided we'd pick up the outbound trail again and fill in the part we had missed, which we did although it meant poor Bernie having to direct us backward using the GPS which constantly wanted to turn us around.
Now, do you remember I told you to "hold that thought" when talking about the tricky long descent.
Indeed, we now have to negotiate the tricky one in reverse.
Bernie was leading at this stage and had been more than up to the task of riding all the trails and would probably (we'll never know) managed this one without a stop had it not been for walkers on the track.
"Walkers, I've stopped" came the call in my ear through the intercom. I had geared myself up to take it on and wasn't really in the mood to stop, standing on my pegs as I saw Bernie waiting just off centre and the walkers waiting on the right I gave the Greenie full beans and rode the bucking bronco through the dips, rocks, bumps and ruts, eyes on stalks picking the route as best I could and hoping I wouldn't bin it in front of our onlookers.
Waiting at he top saying to myself "no dabs" I waited for Bernie with a big smile on my face, "what a great bike and what a great trip" I thought to myself.
Bernie restarted where he had had to stop for the walkers and he too made it.
A few new to us trails, saw us to our last campsite, next to Salisbury race course.
A mile walk to the Fox and Goose pub at Coombe Bissett, lovely meal and a shandy and an end to another great day.
Day four I had to give my exhaust a bit of support with a couple of bungy straps before heading out, then we were back on Salisbury Plain.
I've been here a few times and know some of the trails and the terrain, but today we covered far more of the Plain than I had previously and it was great.
Lots of the usual light gravely dusty trails, some grassy trails with deep ruts from the 4x4 drivers, muddy bomb holes and a deep water crossing, handy to wash off all the mud from a particularly muddy 4x4 rut I rode through earlier.
The Greenie is not a fan of water, get any near the plug cap and it stops.
Bernie was the first to go, making it with no problem and showing off his waterproof boots.
My boots would have filled from above, so feet in the air and fingers crossed off we went and again the Greenie didn't let me down, dry feet for everyone.
Late lunch after we exited the trails followed by country lanes through the Downs and an assortment of small villages.
Slight fuel issue on the AT1 meant a steady pace for the last 25 miles home.
For myself, the trip was great and I think Bernie enjoyed it just as much.
Both bikes were fantastic and tackled everything we threw at them.
Bernie did a great job navigating and was great company too.
I recommend anyone to take to the trails on these bikes, you'll be smiling from ear to ear 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I've uploaded a few photos and videos of our trip.

It's steeper than it looks

A rocky ascent

Bernie ford crossing

Greenie ford crossing

Day One

Day Two

Day Three

Day Four

Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
Last edit: 10 Jun 2023 09:40 by Pete-RT1.
10 Jun 2023 09:24 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Agop
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Agop on topic Salisbury Plain and UK TET

Well....As Peter said... I enjoyed it a lot !... Considering I am older than the bike.... I think we did both well... :-). The TET UK is brillant and now that we are back home I have worked out how to do a reverse route on the .GPX track !.... We know for next time, as I am sure there will be one. Am so glad I have done the trip with Peter as my mechanical knowledge is limited (Very!). He did bailed me out a couple of time.... Now it is down to cleaning the toy and sorting out the Carburettor that may well be full of not sure what !!!!
And Thank you to Allan, Gr8uncleal for inviting us.
Bernard. ( UK - Berkshire )

Yamaha AT1e
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, Pete-RT1
11 Jun 2023 12:45 #12

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Salisbury Plain and UK TET

Great to see you both, Bernie, and thanks for the bevvies! 

I see that you hit the road at 9am "Peter Time"! 

Coombe Bissett is the next village on from where I lived from the age of 14 until leaving the family home (which I am now trying to sell!). 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
11 Jun 2023 13:00 #13

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart