facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Steering bearings

• principal282
  • principal282's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Steering bearings was created by principal282

Is it common or necessary to tear into this?  I’m talking the housing triple tree.  I know my forks have had it, I will be getting new tubes toward the end of this redo. Handlebars and controls off for cleanup and to see what I need.

07 Jul 2023 10:58 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Steering bearings

A pretty straightforward job to remove the triple tree and check the state of the races.

Unless the races show sign of wear, I would just replace the ball bearings (buy from a cycle shop, not Yamaha) and re-pack with grease.

If you do need new races, then these are still available from Yamaha.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: principal282
07 Jul 2023 11:59 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Steering bearings

My ideas from years of lumpy steering.
As you have it sitting there, lift it onto a box then slightly overtighten the race adjuster thingy then swing it left-right very slowly to feel.
You'll know immediately if there's dimples in the races--mainly lower race which carries the weight. I'll place money on that it feels a bit lumpy as the races get dimpled.
So it is always good to replace the complete set. Lower cup can be slightly difficult to get in square on & right home.
When you've replaced them & fitted the top tripple then locked down the top nut 'semi tight' at first, just feel by swinging left right because it always tightens how it feels more than how it feels initialy--just because it's trying to squash it all down on the threads i guess.
So might need to back off the ring nut one knotch & try again dependin how you set it before fitting top tripple.
Need forks in to align tripples though when tightening that top nut.
Hope that makes sense, albeit a little confusing.

Just realised it's a GT80 so not a lot of weight for the lower bearing to carry.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2023 17:28 by RT325.
07 Jul 2023 17:26 #3

• principal282
  • principal282's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by principal282 on topic Steering bearings

Thanks! It’s just something I haven’t done yet!!  
08 Jul 2023 05:06 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieMini Enduro ManJames Hart