facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

• bmorreng
  • bmorreng's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by bmorreng on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

MarkT, I agree 100% with your post that things like that could have happened. I was earlier reply that the bike is not a restoration. Thank you for your comments.
08 May 2016 11:47 #31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by SlowPoke on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

My two cents worth.......

I don't know a thing about what makes a bike original or what makes it a restoration. As a result, IF I was in the market to buy a high dollar, claimed completely original, low mileage surviver as an investment I would need far more authentication than the evidence presented to us in this forum. Asking for a value based on pictures and a background story that is only coming from one source seems like jumping the gun. I would need to have trusted experts on this bike go over it with a magnifying glass, IN PERSON. I'd need to hear it run so that the experts could tell me what they hear in the motor. I'd need to look at some internals like brake shoes, bearings, chain, light bulbs, tools, etc. To discover if the bike actually had 1 mile on it IN IT'S INTIRETY. I would need third party authentication of it's background story from trusted industry experts. If all of the boxes were ticked off only then would I consider paying TONS of money to acquire an original collectors museum piece. I would never just go on a sellers estimated asking price. I wonder if asking people in a forum that you just joined for a value on a bike they have never seen is looking in the wrong place?
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000XT
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2009 Yamaha XT250
1977 Yamaha DT250
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Winterwoods
08 May 2016 11:48 #32

Replied by Winterwoods on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

~

"Give the man a Harrumph!"

-Hedley Lamar

c.winterwoods

(KNOWLEDGE is not Owned. Temporary Caretakers of Knowledge, are we)
Last edit: 08 May 2016 12:02 by Winterwoods.
08 May 2016 12:01 #33

Replied by Enduronut on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

Mark T's theory about dealers removing parts for customers has some merit . . . I can see that happening!
But on the other hand, If you (as a dealer) had stashed a brand new bike away ... never to be ridden, how far would you go in stripping it to please other customers. Would you go to all the trouble of removing and replacing the original tires with British made Dunlop's?  Hello?
How about going to all of the trouble of removing the rear wheel so you could sell the sprocket to someone . . . . would you remove the taillight to give someone a white rubber mounting grommet? This does not sound like anything a prospective collector would do to me ??? The list goes on, and on, and on, and on, and that's just from what I can see from those limited photo's.
Wrong horn, wrong dust boots on the front forks, wrong gauge dampers, wrong front fender, wrong rim locks, missing lower chain guard, missing exhaust stinger cover . . . blah Blah Blah. Someone prove to me that it has only 1 mile on it when the original speedometer has been replaced.  

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Call me a skeptic, but I don't buy the story as it's being presented.
On a positive note, the title does show that the bike never changed hands. 
I do wish the Moon family success with the estate sales . . . just not by me!

The bike is nice, and definitely should be worth what bmorreng told me the sons are thinking of selling it for.

Best of luck, EN
Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, bmorreng
Last edit: 23 Apr 2022 13:15 by Enduronut.
08 May 2016 14:04 #34

• KennyandtheJets
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by KennyandtheJets on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

I agree with that this bike being a dealership display may have fallen victim to the owners better nature from time to time to help out a customer. This explains the non 68 parts. The sprocket cover has a "made in Japan " stamped into it. The 68s did not have that. They had a silver sticker!
The parts that seem "molested" are all "breaky" bits!
The front fender is another example. Does not look like the aluminium with the white grommets but yet another fragile piece on a dirt bike . Remember the owner was running a business and customer relationship would have been priority .
If it wasn't dusted regularly if it was hung up, that would attract moisture and attack the chrome. That explains the corrosion spots on the horizontal areas where dust settles.
Even with the wrong speedo there is strong evidence to suggest this indeed is a zero miles bike. The Dunlop Universal Trials still have the moulding spikes.
When in doubt, power out !
08 May 2016 14:21 #35

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Replied by RT325 on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=231935488699&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by RT325 on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=231935488699&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• KennyandtheJets
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by KennyandtheJets on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

The proof of the pudding is in the engine I guess.

If I was a potential buyer I would remove the exhaust and have a good old sticky beak inside the cylinder, piston crown and the exhaust itself. A zero miles bike will be clean as a whistle inside the engine and also the exhaust . If the inside of the exhaust looks brand new through one of these little cameras then I would be satisfied with the proof ..
Be a good tool to have regardless to inspect for carbon buildup/blockages !
When in doubt, power out !
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bmorreng
Last edit: 08 May 2016 15:33 by KennyandtheJets.
08 May 2016 15:14 #38

This message has an attachment image.

• bmorreng
  • bmorreng's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by bmorreng on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

I do know the fender on it is not original, the original was with it. They noticed the color difference. Very good points you make, and I've shared this with his kids. They have all the original parts list and manuals and several photos to see if or when things changed. Appreciate the input, this helps a lot.
08 May 2016 15:32 #39

Replied by avc2020 on topic 1968 Yamaha DT1 250 Enduro

Hello all,
I’m also looking to get some input on the value of a 1968 DT1
I bought it from the original owners brother and the rear fender has an add on as well as the chain guard. As far as I know everything else is original and the only thing missing is both rear foot pegs.
The bike has 1741 miles on it and a Title
I replaced the crankshaft seals, kick start seal and right shifter seal. Rebuilt the petcock and carburetor. Changed the gearbox oil and rebuilt the injection oil pump
The bike runs and rides good
It has the original tool kit as well
All the lights are working as well as the horn.
The engine and frame numbers are a match
Vin DT102811

Thanks,
Art
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB, Von
Last edit: 21 Sep 2020 10:21 by avc2020. Reason: Add pictures
21 Sep 2020 03:39 #40

This message has attachments images.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart