facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dt 400 1975 indicator problems

• Vincent Hunt
  • Vincent Hunt's Avatar Topic Author

Dt 400 1975 indicator problems was created by Vincent Hunt

Hi, i have just bought a dt400 and I'm relatively uneducated when it comes to bike electrics. I have a set of indicators for the bike that were sold with it. I've managed to find where the rear indicators plug into and my battery is charged. I can't work out where the front indicators plug into. The rears dont work at all. I suppose what I'm hoping to get from this post is someone to help me.
30 Jun 2020 13:09 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Dt 400 1975 indicator problems

Welcome! from the UK.

In no particular order:-

1) Do you have a flasher/indicator relay? It should be located under the tank, underneath the top frame bar, just before the very front of the frame. There should be a brown, a brown and white and a black wire coming out of the main wire harness to plug into it.
2) As you sit on the bike, indicators for left side are dark brown and for right are dark green. It is the wire, very often coloured black, coming out of the centre of the indicator that plugs into these colours on the main harness. For the rear indicators, if the rubber mounts are present, then you will need an additional wire sitting via a ring connector on the indicator stem, underneath the washers and nut - this is the earth wire. The other end plugs into the black on the main harness.

There should be, I think, a three or four socket black female connector coming out of the main harness under the seat, roughly on top of the rear mudguard - plug the black from the tail light and the wire from each side that I have just mentioned into this.

If you have bolted the indicators to the frame without the rubber mounts in place, then you probably won't need to do this, as the indicators will earth directly against the frame.

3) At the front, the indicators should earth directly from the handlebars, assuming that they aren't heavily painted.

As above for the wire coming out of the centre of the indicator being treated as dark brown or dark green. They feed into the hole in the back of the headlight shell and connect with three female socket dark brown and dark green connectors in the headlight shell. The other two sockets of each are occupied by the same coloured wires from the indicator switch on the handlebars and the flasher warning light in the tacho.

Don't mix up the dark brown wires with the lighter brown, or the dark green with the blacks - this is easily done with old, dirty and/or faded wires.

They run off the battery, so this must be present for them to work.
30 Jun 2020 13:33 #2

• Vincent Hunt

Replied by Vincent Hunt on topic Dt 400 1975 indicator problems

I really wish you were local to me ahha. Cheers for the response. I will maybe try and attach photos if possible. I dont suppose you have WhatsApp? Cheers again!
30 Jun 2020 13:44 #3

No Whatsapp or Arsebook etc - I'm a bit of a Luddite concerning that sort of thing!:ROFLOL Forums and fleabay is as far as I go.

Treat the wiring more as a puzzle than electrics. Bar the wires coming out of the centre of the indicators previously referred to, every other wire should be colour coded and should only be connected with a wire of the same colour.

Yes, photos would be great if your stuck on something. In fact, photos of members' bikes are great anyway!:likey
30 Jun 2020 23:59 #4

• Vincent Hunt

Ah that's a shame. So I got them lighting up last night for the first time but they're not flashing. So I imagine the relay is buggered. One weird thing though is that the indicator light on the speedo is on when I connect the indicators but turns off when I switch it left or right.
01 Jul 2020 00:03 #5

You'll need a really fully charged battery and maybe the engine running to get them flashing.

I suspect you've got a dodgy connection somewhere for the warning light to come on with ignition. Go round each wire and give a little wiggle to see if it makes a difference. On my RD125 it was a bad connection to one of my indicator bulbs.

Good progress though, well done!

Edit - Is it the original relay or a later replacement?
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 00:30 by Gr8uncleal.
01 Jul 2020 00:29 #6

• Vincent Hunt

Hi again, the relay is the original one. All the indicators work now but dont flash and the light still stays on when in the middle position and on the left position but not the right weirdly. I will see if they flash when the engines running when I put the tank back on.
01 Jul 2020 03:14 #7

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Vincent Hunt

Hi again mate, I've got the indicators working although they're pretty dull. They dont flash and the relay makes a dodgy noise when I turn the switch left to right. I've ordered a new relay for 13quid so hopefully I can sort it very shortly. Cheers for the help!
01 Jul 2020 13:52 #8

Replied by MarkT on topic Dt 400 1975 indicator problems

Check bulbs to make sure they are 6 volt. Many signals come with 12v bulbs installed.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
01 Jul 2020 15:51 #9

13 quid - so you'll be in the UK then? I'm between Salisbury and Shaftesbury.

One of many things I learned from MarkT was how to wire a new, modern relay - be aware that modern three pin relays are not the same as original Yamaha ones. You only really need a two pin one and the brown wire goes to the pin marked B or X and the Brown/White to the pin marked L. You should ignore the other one and leave the spare black wire from the main loom vacant.
02 Jul 2020 00:35 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart