facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How many ball bearings in Yamaha CT1 Steering Stem

• ajacstern23
  • ajacstern23's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Decided to service the steering stem on my '71 CT1 during the off season and despite my best efforts, still dropped ball bearings all over the floor. Interestingly the grease was in basically perfect condition, only part of the bike like that and very surprising for something that has been sitting outside for almost 50 years. I think I found all of the bearings from off the garage floor, 18 1/4" for the lower and 21 3/16" for the upper. I checked on partzilla and the order size is 19 for the lower and 22 for the upper so I am either off by one for each or partzilla includes an extra in the order, not sure. Does anyone know what the correct number of bearings is?

Thanks.
09 Jan 2021 20:29 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pretty sure it's 19 and 22.

I wouldn't buy missing ones from Yamaha. You can get bags of high quality bearings online or from a bicycle shop much cheaper. I've had bicycle shops give them to me... and I think someone in Australia recently posted the same thing happened to them.

Ace hardware or other good hardware sells them too but not quite as cheap as buying a bulk bag... which is what I do because I always lose some so I just replace them all.

One place the uppers sometimes hide is in the steering tube... they get stuck by the grease halfway down. So check there if you haven't.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
09 Jan 2021 21:07 #2

19-- 1/4 bottom. 22-- 3/16 top.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
10 Jan 2021 02:52 #3

I always have towels around my shop and learned after the first bike to put down towels (I have a bunch of white ones) on the floor under the tree. Bearings don't bounce much when they hit the towels...plus white is much easier to find the missing bearings versus the concrete floor. When you put the ball bearings around the races there should be a small gap but not enough of a gap to add another ball. That's when you know you've got the correct quantity.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
10 Jan 2021 09:11 #4

• ajacstern23
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by ajacstern23 on topic How many ball bearings in Yamaha CT1 Steering Stem

Indeed, there were 19 and 22. Thanks for the tip on the steering stem as well, there was one caught in there. I had some towels down but evidently not nearly enough coverage. The other one took scouring the garage for awhile but at least the garage is a little cleaner now. I've got two types of grease that I think would work for this application, red and tacky high temp wheel bearing grease or harbor freight marine grease, light blue in color. Any opinions on which one works best? I am leaning towards the red and tacky currently for no reason in particular. Sorry, I know grease threads are about as bad as oil threads.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
11 Jan 2021 07:38 #5

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic How many ball bearings in Yamaha CT1 Steering Stem

either grease is fine.

Usually a missing ball bearing or small spring is located on the same day the replacements arrive in the mail or are purchased at the local store.
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Swoop56
11 Jan 2021 11:32 #6

• ajacstern23
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by ajacstern23 on topic How many ball bearings in Yamaha CT1 Steering Stem

Ok, sounds good on the grease.
My continually growing collection of nearly microscopic springs can definitely attest to that statement.

I noticed something odd as I was about to put everything together, it looks like there is a chip in the bottom of the steering head, however all the edges are painted so the metal must have been removed before the frame was painted by the factory. This makes me think it is intentionally, however it would mess up the seal or maybe the race that the bearing is supposed to ride on. Maybe it is supposed to be a water drain hole? If it's not supposed to be there I will try to fill it in with some JB weld, will have to see how well it cures below freezing.

There is also no rubber seal for the top bearing nor can I find any reference to it in parts list. There is a cover but it has no actual seal, anyone tried putting in an o-ring or something, or does the standard setup work fine? Everything in there was perfect on such a beat up bike that I am willing to believe it works fine.
11 Jan 2021 17:36 #7

The only rubber seal is on the bottom of the tree. No rubber on the top nor do you need one. If the race is installed in the bottom of the steering head and the chip isn't where the race sits, you'll be fine. A picture of that chip area would help. I don't recall anything like a piece missing on my bikes.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
11 Jan 2021 17:53 #8

• ajacstern23
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Haha whoops, took photos and totally forgot to attach them. The flash reflects off the chip in one of the photo making it looks weird but it is all painted the same black as the frame.

11 Jan 2021 19:45 #9

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Great pics. I'd just take a look at the seal on the tree and be sure it looks good. Sure looks like it's been doing it's job with nice even paint wear inside the head. Get her greased up and you should be golden.

BTW your races look like new. Reassemble and good for another 50 years!
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, ajacstern23
Last edit: 11 Jan 2021 19:55 by Pedalcrazy.
11 Jan 2021 19:53 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart