facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

No strictly Yamaha, but i used a yamaha V50 scooter oil tank for fuel.

Big Daddy of them all was the 18 cylinder Napier Deltic. The college had a cutaway of one in the foyer. Impressive, but like the triple knocker, past glory.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

They had us studying the next up and coming thing in quite a lot of detail. It was to be the future of truck engines - The Leyland Gas Turbine.
My initial interest soon turned into disappointment when it was discovered that it was nothing like an aircraft turbine engine.

Nothing came of it. Waste of time studying it and waste of Leyand's money producing all the study materials for students.  It had already been scrapped and resurrected several times. Optimism was high that they had fixed most of the problems, it was to be the biggest thing since sliced bread in the late 70s. Already falling into obscurity again when we were studying it. 
Consequently, no one really put any heart into learning about it or teaching it.  It was on the curriculum, but already regarded as a lost cause.
I recall spending much of my time doodling motorcycles, aircraft and yamaha logos in sheer bordom.  Iconel this, heat exchanger that, cetrifugal flow the other.  Yawn.  It being Friday afternoon, I was already counting down the hours until I would be in the pubs and nightclubs, chasing girls and getting completely shitfaced.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
Last edit: 05 Sep 2023 23:19 by Tinkicker.
05 Sep 2023 22:45 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Gas turbine, blimey that's pretty radical. Thanks for posting.
06 Sep 2023 04:55 #12

When I was at college in the 70s, we visited an RN workshop that rebuilt those Napier Deltic engines. Was far more interesting than the day to day college stuff..........
06 Sep 2023 11:05 #13

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart