facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

• asco
  • asco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME was created by asco

I’m going to try and make this as short as possible, as I’m using a dictation device. My biggest fear in this community is that most of the members of the Yamaha Enduro Community are getting to the age “where we have a lot of stuff and not enough time.”

This is a conversation that I’ve had with quite a few YE members. It’s very troublesome, knowing that your relatives will not know what to do with your stuff, once you pass. I don’t like to be morbid, but we all have to face the fact we’re not going to be on this earth forever, we’re not going to be riding Yamaha’s Enduro’s forever. Additionally, what is going to happen to our stockade of parts that we have collected over the last 20 years on our passing?

I will be turning 65 in the middle of September. My father was only on this planet for 41 13/16ths. years.

I think that — this is something that we need to talk about. We are not immortal. Two people have come forward and are giving me parts upon’ either their retirement or the realization that their health is deteriorating. While it’s a blessing, it’s also curse as well as a double edge sword. Thank you for everything. 

a

YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut
Last edit: 22 Jul 2023 11:44 by asco.
22 Jul 2023 11:40 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Schu on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

I'm the same age as you, and I've wondered the same. I do have two sons who have ridden motorcycles since they were 8 years old. They still ride and wrench. So my collection of bikes and parts are destined to go from my barn to theirs one day. And I do have one grandson who is just 3 years old, and he shows a lot of interest. So there is hope that my stuff will roll on for at least two more generations.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco
22 Jul 2023 12:54 #2

Replied by msavitt on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

I joke with my wife about her and my 4 sons scratching their heads while going through my economically di minimis worldly possessions that is mostly bikes, tools, guns, VW that I enjoyed so much! 

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

In the end it will all be okay

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, MarkT, asco, Snglsmkr, nhsteve, Schu, Ht1kid, Andy L
22 Jul 2023 12:58 #3

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

I’m 3 years behind you gentlemen then. I wonder where my bikes and guitar collections will end up as well. I sometimes dwell on yesterday, and wonder what will tomorrow bring… neither of which I can change. Being in today is my sanctuary.. I’m thankful to God for now (meaning I’m here today). Perhaps like me, my old collection will cease… someday. Time to enjoy while I still can.
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco, Ht1kid, msavitt
22 Jul 2023 14:07 #4

Replied by DVM on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

ASCO, I hear you loud and clear…..getting to the age where we have a lot of stuff and not enough time. I am 76

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

and as I posted a while back, "my trail riding days are over". The last California Dreaming get together last year was my last trail riding adventure. Also, I am working less on these vintage Yamaha enduros. However I do have a lot of vintage Yamaha enduro "parts" in my garage that will need to go in the not too distant future. The kids and grandkids (through marriage) are in to the newer bikes and they have little interest in my vintage "stuff".
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., MarkT, t-bone, asco, nhsteve
22 Jul 2023 15:11 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

Me too DVM, 76 nearly 77 & yesterday--being still stupid-- pulling full lock doughnuts around in circles left & right on the Fergy 135 trying to shed mud off the tires before exiting the paddock & thinking--i shouldn't be doing this incase it highsides me lol. My idea worked though.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., Ht1kid
22 Jul 2023 15:49 #6

Replied by rsmith56 on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

67 here and have same thoughts. Not so much enduro parts but lots of toys. Not sure my progeny shares my enthusiasm, but can be sold if they want and do what each enjoys. Christian faith tells us that heaven is beyond our comprehension. Perhaps bikes the we can play with, parts always available, never run out of fuel, no fouled plugs or striped threads and etc......
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
22 Jul 2023 16:14 #7

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

I have several Enduros and many parts. I'm grooming several relatives to make sure they will be able to take care of and more importantly enjoy a 50+ year old motorcycle. The worst thing you can do is leave someone something that will be a burden to them or they have no interest in it. Currently I have 2 museum quality bikes that will likely not get ridden. A '68 DT-1 and a '71 RT1-B. All the others are riders. Each one will come with NOS cylinders, standard, first and second oversize pistons and rings. Complete clutch assembly with basket. Plus all the miscellaneous parts, tools and manuals necessary to get another 50 years of life. So far I believe I have 5 taken care of plus the '68 Mini Trail and '66 Schwinn Stingray 5 speed Fastback.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut
22 Jul 2023 16:33 #8

Replied by Bent Trigger on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

I told my wife to put it all in a BIG U-haul and go to any Motorcycle race and sell each thing for 5$, Full bikes (Those guys will be Lucky) down to the bag of old used bearings floating in 2 stroke oil. What is left (and I doubt it will be much) Put in the recycling bin. It will help a lot of people and she will see what I do in the people that LOVE this Shi*!! Kooks and Cons alike! And most of you Know this is BS. She will hold out for TOP$ until it ALL goes into the Dumpster!! The other side is for US, this side is for everyone else. Chris
1966 Triumph Trophy TR6SR
1970 Husqvarna Sportsman 360
1971 Husqvarna Enduro C 360
1972 Husqvarna 450CR
1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1973 Husqvarna 360RT
1974 Husqvarna 450WR
1977 Amen Savior KZ1000 Chopper
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100 150HP
A TON-O-Generators 1925-1965

22 Jul 2023 17:39 #9

Replied by Tinkicker on topic YAMA-FEARS ARE VERY TROUBLESOME

And thank god we are not immortal.  Immortality in my view is the greatest curse ever.  Every torture has to come to an end apart from that one.

I am quite content that in 20 years or less, I will be put in a furnace, gas turned full on and take a ride up the chimney.
This world is an alien place to me now.  Hatefulness is portrayed as kindness and service has become control.

I do not want to live in a world where big government tells you what you eat, what you drink, what you will wear and how you must think.

As for bikes, everyone knows someone who deserves them and will cherish them.  Mine are not going to family, they are going to people who have the mindset that they do not own them, ownership is a flawed concept, no one can truly own anything.

We are merely custodians that are preserving the past in order to pass it on to the future.

I cannot pass an old stone wall without looking at a stone set within and wonder about the man who set it, so many years ago. He left a legacy, and so are you with your bikes.

The future custodian must be the one who will willingly take the ball the ball and run with it, not fall over immediately and only get the chance and fall over due to the birth lottery.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., MarkT, nhsteve, Ht1kid, rsmith56
22 Jul 2023 18:19 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart