facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1968 DT1 rebuild/rejuvenation

• nhsteve
  • nhsteve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

1968 DT1 rebuild/rejuvenation was created by nhsteve

I've been hanging onto this project for 3-4 years now, accumulating missing parts as I found them. With the whole flu-panic thing going on, I thought it was a good time to just go hunker down in the garage this winter and see what I could do with it. For now, I'll just post up a few photos of the bike as bought. It did come with an exhaust pipe, which was for a later year with the larger output. I have sold that on, and obtained a correct '68 pipe (from Yamabob if I'm not mistaken). It also had the gauges (that were not on it at the time the pics were taken. But that was it. What you see is what I got.

I intend to try and do the bike justice, to the best of my abilities, with help from vendors such as DEET and KDI to help me out when I bump into things I cannot get, or do. The bike is seized right up at the moment.

More to come as I progress. Motor number is not clear in photo- it is DT1-01717, so pretty early, I think.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, Rick C., MarkT, Bigdog302, JGersh, JayB, Snglsmkr, pabdt, Pete-RT1, Dad3sons
Last edit: 18 Nov 2020 08:57 by nhsteve. Reason: Information added
18 Nov 2020 08:10 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Dirtboy on topic 1968 DT1 rebuild/rejuvenation

Awesome! looking forward to seeing your progress

18 Nov 2020 12:15 #2

Replied by RT1 on topic 1968 DT1 rebuild/rejuvenation

I too will enjoy watching your progress.
If needed and interested I have a small collection of '68 DT1 parts (pictured here). Most used and in good condition and some NOS.
If there's anything that piques your interest let me know.

pete

'68 DT1, '71 RT1, '71 JT1 (x2), '72 AT2 (x2), '74 DT250A, '75 XS650, '54 BSA C11G, '70 Honda CT70, '73 Hodaka Combat Wombat, '05 Moto-Guzzi Breva, '15 Triumph Tiger, +++

"We are mere custodians of mechanical things. Our job it to care for them, improve them and pass them on to others.” - Peter Egan
18 Nov 2020 16:32 #3

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Snglsmkr on topic 1968 DT1 rebuild/rejuvenation

There's something endearing about an old Enduro that was dressed for work when it went down.

Looks like you have a good foundation to work from.
18 Nov 2020 17:13 #4

Replied by Dad3sons on topic 1968 DT1 rebuild/rejuvenation

It still has the tatty badges!! The story begins....
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
18 Nov 2020 20:10 #5

• nhsteve
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by nhsteve on topic 1968 DT1 rebuild/rejuvenation

Sooo... first day pics to show teardown results. The engine seizure was in the crank main bearings, and not the piston area. It seems to have been bored 1st oversize at one point (and had some detonation damage or flying debris damage on the piston). But the cylinder lifted right off once the base gasket was released. There was not a lot of carbon on the piston top or head, so it probably did not run all that long (?). I have to say that it could be possible that I will actually reuse the piston, and re-ring and do a glaze-break hone on the cylinder.

Enduronut helped me out a couple of years ago when he was able to supply both a piston and cylinder for my 360A. I believe he has "retired" from doing that (??), so I will need to find someone reliable to do that should it be decided a rebore is needed. I'm thinking Bill Bune, as I had them do the crank for the 360, and will be sending them this crank also, as it surely needs it.

Last edit: 20 Nov 2020 06:21 by nhsteve. Reason: Information added
20 Nov 2020 06:20 #6

• nhsteve
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

The oil pump and cavity was quite clean, but then everything had been disconnected. The main line from the tank had been cut and stuffed between the cases and swingarm, the feed line was cut, and the port at the cylinder was blocked off by a small bolt.

20 Nov 2020 06:24 #7

• nhsteve
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Then it got pretty ugly. The mess on the floor underneath the bike is what fell out of the mag case!

After blowing as much crap out of the magneto as I could with an airgun, the nut and washers came off without argument. Not so much the flywheel. My fault really, and the puller was of poor quality. I managed to get the one shown off, and used a better one. In doing that, I had to hold the assembly still, and used a pair of 'grabits', which is a set of vice-grips with long jaws that do a 90' turn at the end. Tried to not damage the coils, and I don't see any physical damage, but the 'quality' of the components just has to be suspect.

Of even greater concern to me is that the points cam surface is badly rusted, and I am not certain at all that it can be salvaged, even by DEET. And if anyone can, it is him. I will be sending him photos before I send the unit itself, so if he thinks the flywheel is not savable I can search for a replacement. I see that Speed and Sport does have some stock of some of the bits, and maybe even an entire mag assembly ($400), so a decision will be needed.

20 Nov 2020 06:42 #8

• nhsteve
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

More magneto pics:

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
20 Nov 2020 06:44 #9

• nhsteve
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I sent the photos to DEET, and he got right back to me. Evidently he feels that neither the flywheel or stator is really salvageable. I did attempt to extract a couple of the coil screws, after lubing things up and even using a heat gun. The second one gave way very easily (nothing ventured, nothing gained), so it would be a real challenge.

Sooo..... I am in the market for a replacement mag assembly I guess. I'll put up a thread in the classifieds too.
20 Nov 2020 11:26 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart