×
Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)
Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.
Makotosun
Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
- Guitarking65
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Junior Member
-
- Posts: 10
- Likes received: 1
Broken kickstarter snapped bolt was created by Guitarking65
My kickstart lever on my dt400 snapped the bolt which holds the lever onto the base. I am trying to remove base but it will come only about half way off then comes to a stop. I tried widening the clamp gap and also trying to easy out the snapped lever bolt as it may be hitting the shaft. I tried lots of wd40. The east out bolt remover I have had poor drill bits as having hard time drilling into the bolt. I have attached photos but not sure of photo attachment is working? Any ideas? I do not mind if I have the sacrifice the kickstarter on it nor. I would buy a replacement. Bike is fairly rough but is a good woods bike. Thanks.
27 Sep 2026 07:27
#1
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Dogboy
-
- Offline
- Premium Member
-
- Posts: 63
- Likes received: 23
Replied by Dogboy on topic Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
easy out is (in my opinion) the only way to get it out as you already know the splines are not the length of the shaft but has a separation so that the the bolt will slide through and fit into it's spot and with the bolt in place the brake lever will not be able to slide off.
Now I could be totally wrong about having to remove the bolt.
edit: kick starter.. DUH!
Now I could be totally wrong about having to remove the bolt.
edit: kick starter.. DUH!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Schu
-
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 1797
- Likes received: 2239
Replied by Schu on topic Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
The broken bolt needs to be removed in order to slide the kickstarter off the splined shaft. There is a relief machined into the splined shaft and the bolt stud passes thru that relief which prevents the kickstarter from falling off the shaft even if the bolt is loose. Hope that makes sense….. You need to continue your efforts with an easy out.
Edit:
Dogboy and I were responding at the same time……
Edit:
Dogboy and I were responding at the same time……
Schu
CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, CT2, RT3, DT360A (2), GT80B, DT100B, DT125B, DT175B, DT175C, DT250B (2), DT400B, Z50
Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, CT2, RT3, DT360A (2), GT80B, DT100B, DT125B, DT175B, DT175C, DT250B (2), DT400B, Z50
Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Gr8uncleal
-
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 4943
- Likes received: 2702
Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
Is there enough room to get a drill in there, so that you can just drill it out? Bolt material shouldn't be too hard, start off at say 3mm drill bit and work up in 1mm increments.
To post photos you need to use a third party host.
To post photos you need to use a third party host.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- pahiker
-
- Offline
- Elite Member
-
- Posts: 199
- Likes received: 158
Replied by pahiker on topic Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
If your drill bit isn't making headway, use a cobalt bit or titanium coated bit if someone put a hardened bolt in there.
1973 Yamaha RT3
2024 Suzuki DR650
2026 Yamaha Tracer 9
2024 Suzuki DR650
2026 Yamaha Tracer 9
The following user(s) Liked this Post: pabdt
27 Sep 2026 08:37
#5
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Guitarking65
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Junior Member
-
- Posts: 10
- Likes received: 1
Replied by Guitarking65 on topic Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
Thanks for your replies. I will invest in stronger drill bits and continue on. Thanks again much appreciated.
27 Sep 2026 09:42
#6
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- MarkT
-
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 14944
- Likes received: 11263
Replied by MarkT on topic Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
Another option is to carefully take a grinder or cut off wheel to the boss the threaded part of the bolt is in. It's not too hard to cut into the boss until what's left of the bolt is free.
I'm pretty sure the DT400 has a two piece starter with a replaceable boss that is still available new Yamaha OEM and aftermarket. 583-15621-00-00
www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/583-15621-00-00
Many new/used on ebay.
Or this new lever should work. www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-kick-starte...splined-knuckle.html
I'm pretty sure the DT400 has a two piece starter with a replaceable boss that is still available new Yamaha OEM and aftermarket. 583-15621-00-00
www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/583-15621-00-00
Many new/used on ebay.
Or this new lever should work. www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-kick-starte...splined-knuckle.html
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
27 Sep 2026 12:25
#7
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- pabdt
-
- Online
- Platinum Member
-
- Posts: 874
- Likes received: 627
Replied by pabdt on topic Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
not sure how much space, but I'm on the train to use a dremel and slice out the bolt area of the shaft.
or
tied lever down in fully kicked positon or such that bolt exit side is up.
drill, tap for threads. Put a new bolt in that side so when tightening it it actually goes the other way. Don't drill all the way thorugh original bolt that way new bolt bottoms out and will unscrew old bolt. new bolt has to be smaller than broken bolt obviously/
Does this make sense?
or
tied lever down in fully kicked positon or such that bolt exit side is up.
drill, tap for threads. Put a new bolt in that side so when tightening it it actually goes the other way. Don't drill all the way thorugh original bolt that way new bolt bottoms out and will unscrew old bolt. new bolt has to be smaller than broken bolt obviously/
Does this make sense?
════════════════════════════
1969 Yamaha CT1 175
1969 Yamaha DT1S 250
1973 Yamaha DT3 250
1974 Yamaha DT125A
1974 Yamaha DT360A with SP96 Exhaust
*The End ... Next Up Honda XL 250.
1969 Yamaha CT1 175
1969 Yamaha DT1S 250
1973 Yamaha DT3 250
1974 Yamaha DT125A
1974 Yamaha DT360A with SP96 Exhaust
*The End ... Next Up Honda XL 250.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Guitarking65
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Junior Member
-
- Posts: 10
- Likes received: 1
Replied by Guitarking65 on topic Broken kickstarter snapped bolt
I might not have been as clear as could have been on the issue. The bottom bolt that holds the boss onto the shaft has been removed no problem. The issue is that unlike the stock boss I seen in parts diagrams, instead of the starter lever sliding on the boss held on by a clip, mine had another hex bolt that is threaded down the start lever into the boss. This is the bolt that snapped and half remains in the boss which I cannot slide off the shaft. The boss goes part way off the shaft then a sudden stop like caught on something. . It likely is a kickstarter off another model as it has 2 bolts. It is black and heavy duty looking. I didn't think this other lever bolt would prevent the boss coming off the shat since I would think it holds the lever onto the boss and shouldn't go all way down to the shaft. I can continue trying to drill the bolt out but at some point if I had to sacrifice the boss in some way I would to get it off. I hope this is clearer. Thanks for all your responses and help.
28 Sep 2026 05:35
#9
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: yamadmin, Makotosun, DEET, Vinnie, James Hart
