facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

MG1 Omaha

• apex
  • apex's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

MG1 Omaha was created by apex

Mark T I found one! With a title, and a CAL black and yellow plate. Picked it up last Wednesday, had it running Saturday. HAs some issues, I'll show pic's later. But super excited to find it. The baskets on the back expand, and the floor tips down to square them up. This thing is so cool!!

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, KJB, JayB, Super90
Last edit: 26 Feb 2019 21:12 by apex.
26 Feb 2019 21:10 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic MG1 Omaha

Awesome find! Mine had original paint and I just polished it up with Meguiars. Came out pretty nice.

Engine is basically a pre-autolube YG1. Let me know if I can help with something.

P.S. It's actually an MG1-T Omaha Trailmaster. (not the wimpy 50cc garden-variety "trail" model.):lol:

Standard "trail" model ad... Almost certainly the true "first" Yamaha Enduro! (except they didn't come up with the "enduro" name yet Haha) :

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB, Super90, Kenbow56, msavitt
26 Feb 2019 21:28 #2

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Memorylane on topic MG1 Omaha

:OnFire
My life is a hilarious series of wrong turns, and to quote bugs bunny “I should have taken a left at Albuquerque!”
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 06:12 by Memorylane.
26 Feb 2019 21:42 #3

Apex. If I remember correctly, that petcock has a wire clip holding the lever in and a spring loaded plastic "cone" with holes that direct the flow of gas... No rubber gasket plate like the newer bikes. Mine was at least as bad as yours and I just cleaned it up and it works perfectly. Just don't dunk it in carb cleaner before taking out the plastic cone!

:Buds
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
26 Feb 2019 21:52 #4

Replied by Memorylane on topic MG1 Omaha

“Fun in 62”
“Answer to hunters and fishermen’s dreams”
They are taking about the bike right?
Lol!
My life is a hilarious series of wrong turns, and to quote bugs bunny “I should have taken a left at Albuquerque!”
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Hammer, JayB
26 Feb 2019 22:08 #5

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Replied by apex on topic MG1 Omaha

Yes, there's a plastic or resin or whatever it is cone behind the flip lever. I'll take a pic of the debris I scraped out of that petcock, semi-solid gray paste...everywhere! all ports were plugged off solid by the stuff. I've done just an initial clean, need to soda blast it and find something to work for the cup & flange rubber seals. Found the lever rubber seal, it's on the way. Gas tank had been lined previously, and that liner is peeling, gas tank trash. I found one on eBay and it showed up today. Previous owner found one side cover, the magneto cover, and some other bits and thankfully is sending them to me!

Pics coming...
Allrighty Then
02 Mar 2019 19:59 #6

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=322424199352&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by RT325 on topic MG1 Omaha

Be careful with the external gearchange bracket surrounding the front sprocket. I'd say i replaced one a week at work on the YG1T back in the day but you're 'not' going to get sticks dragged in on the chain or throw a chain & have it bunch up on the way through--i hope. Probably made out of "un-obtanium' these days.
02 Mar 2019 23:55 #8

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

You mean this?? LOL...the shift cam piece was seized, would not rotate. Took it completely apart, cleaned and lubed and reassembled. Works great now!

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., t-bone
Last edit: 04 Mar 2019 12:22 by apex.
04 Mar 2019 12:21 #9

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Made some good progress on the little MG1. Shifter mechanism works perfect now, had a little glitch with debris in the detent plunger housing (thought I had it cleaned out), caused the shifter to bind up. Replacement cover fit from eBay fit just right.

The gas tank had previously been lined, and that liner was lifting with rust and all the other usual contaminants. I read all the various ways to attempt to remove the liner...and instead, found a good tank, much easier than the variety of chemical cocktails need to remove the liner. Many of the chemicals you can;t even get in CA any longer. All I needed to do with this tank was metal rescue and then baking in the BBQ. Turned out damn good. Of course, while the tank was out, my buddies thought the gas tank location in the bike was a recycle bin.

Replacement petcock rubber parts are apparently unobtanium, and one that I did get was too old and solid from age. Had to resort to o rings in my storage bin. Cleaned up nicely.

After checking the front brakes, took the little Omaha for some rides yesterday. The little rotary valve 80 has good power! But as geared with a 51 tooth rear sprocket it's good for about 40 mph completely wrung out. Going to have to look in to a different rear sprocket. Going to get the registration this week, it will be a fun little get around bike this summer.
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pillsbury, Super90, Kenbow56
25 Mar 2019 08:13 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart