facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Dt 400 Cylinder Retorquing

• Marty’sS
  • Marty’sS's Avatar Topic Author

Dt 400 Cylinder Retorquing was created by Marty’sS

Last winter I bored and replaced the piston, bearing, rings and new gaskets. I ran the bike all summer with no issues. My last ride in the fall, It leaked compression all around the cylinder base. It stopped after warming up. I’m assuming there was no gasket damage, because it stopped leaking.

I want to retorque the cylinder nuts. I moved the bike into a heated space after being stored in an unheated space all winter. Should I warm the engine up and let it cool, then retorque or just retorque it once it warms up from being outside?

07 Feb 2024 12:25 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Dt 400 Cylinder Retorquing

Did you use an aftermarket base gasket? I have 2 RT3 360s that had the same problem. Previous owner used aftermarket cylinder base gaskets that were thicker than Yamaha OEM. When the engine warmed up and cooled down the bolts loosened.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
07 Feb 2024 13:31 #2

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Dt 400 Cylinder Retorquing

I would think, and this is just my no nothing logic, that if you warmed it up first then you're just closing the gap since the metals have expanded and you'd get a better torque if you did it cold. You will also have to take the head off first too.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
07 Feb 2024 14:35 #3

Replied by automan on topic Dt 400 Cylinder Retorquing

torque cold
08 Feb 2024 01:19 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic Dt 400 Cylinder Retorquing

On the rare occasion i re-torque anything i crack the nut back a fraction then bring it up.
My reasoning being that it takes more to crack them free going forward & likely clicks at say 18 for instance without moving "& 18 was your desired original number anyway.
But crack it back a bit--say a flat or half a flat--then bring it up & you might get another 1/8 of a turn past the point to get to 18.
That's cracking & re-tightening one at a time.
Threads hang on tight when left for a while.
Just my warped ideas.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, AirborneSilva, Schu, Ht1kid, Rimotu66
Last edit: 08 Feb 2024 20:01 by RT325.
08 Feb 2024 01:40 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart