facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Setting Up DT-1B Carb

Replied by Knutco11 on topic Setting Up DT-1B Carb

Look in the inlet side, where the air filter clamps on.  On the bottom, you will find a passage that intersects with the needle jet.  That's it.  Some were tapped and had changeable jets.  Alot of them are open with no brass, in the realm of 1.5 to 2.5 mm I believe.  Should be able to tap it and put a 0.5mm air bleed into it.  As others are saying, it may work with the other jetting.  It's probably worth trying before you have to go all the way with it.  Start rich main jet, pull the needle up 1 or 2 clips.  See how your part throttle response is, and note how clean it is. Could be rich and burbly, or it could be lean and surge.  Only 1 way to find out.  Want a slight burble, but it should clean up with load.  Never want surging or racing, any part of the throttle range.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Traderyoda
09 Jan 2024 21:46 #41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Setting Up DT-1B Carb

The air jet only affects the main circuit significantly at near full to full throttle and higher rpm... 

On the "primary" type needle jet...  the type with the little shroud that sticks into the airflow that both DT carbs had...  a bigger air jet makes the mixture a little richer at full throttle and high rpm.

If I remember correctly the DT2 carb has a bigger air jet drilled so that = richer which = safe.  Air jet doesn't have that much effect...  more of a "fine tuning".

P.S.  You can't clean the carb completely without removing the needle jet.  A lot of crud sometimes hides there.  Presses out from bottom to top.  A small hardwood dowel often works great as punch...  Rick C uses a chopstick..  make sure not to loosen or damage the brass locating pin with whatever tool you use to tap the jet out. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, Traderyoda, Ht1kid
09 Jan 2024 22:51 #42

Replied by Knutco11 on topic Setting Up DT-1B Carb

Markt, that is good to know on the air jet function. I just see a number, and want it to match. Initial thought thinks leaner with more air, but understandable that it would help draw more fuel.
Are you open to a discussion about the function of "bleed" style needle jets? Not here probably.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Traderyoda
09 Jan 2024 23:05 #43

• Traderyoda
  • Traderyoda's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Traderyoda on topic Setting Up DT-1B Carb

Many thanks,

I've already ordered the correct (by part number) needle jet and jet needle (nah, that's not confusing...). I'll run a 165 or 170 main, whichever I can find, since the consensus seems to be they'll work fine. All else looks good and I essentially have a 214-E4... I report back on how the machine fires up once I get everything all the pieces.

Very much appreciate the great help I've received on this forum. I can't post pictures here but will provide a link of the final result.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, Knutco11
10 Jan 2024 07:39 #44

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart