facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

75 DT250 electrical issues

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 75 DT250 electrical issues

That should be fine then.
30 Jul 2023 08:00 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Enduro nut
  • Enduro nut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Enduro nut on topic 75 DT250 electrical issues

So i FINALLY got to take her out for my first spin and i still have a few issues. All the electrical is working however the higher the RPM the engine gets the faster my blinkers blink. If i get to 3rd gear + they actually blink so fast that it looks like their not blinking at all but just lit up like a solid light. I have no clue what would cause this?
Some other issues is my oil injection seems to like to fill up the cylinder when it sets. Im going to check the vent on the oil tank, hopefully its plugged otherwise im stumped there. Then there is a simple clutch adjustment and some carb tuning as it runs a little choppy mid range. But all and all shes doing pretty good!
08 Aug 2023 21:10 #12

Replied by RT325 on topic 75 DT250 electrical issues

I don't know--but--it sounds something like the battery is not taking the charge & all the AC is all going to the blinkers. Is the little rectifier still in one piece, not burnt up. Does the battery have water--if not a sealed one--because if it runs dry then strange things happen. I might be talking rubbish but gotta start somewhere.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
09 Aug 2023 04:56 #13

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

New rectifier and new battery. Ive kept up on charging the battery with my trickle charger while i was still diagnosing other issues. Ill check the connections to the rectifier but i doubt its that simple.
09 Aug 2023 06:46 #14

Replied by MarkT on topic 75 DT250 electrical issues

Oil pump check ball (at exit hose fitting of oil pump) may be missing or has crud in it. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, nhsteve, Ht1kid
09 Aug 2023 06:49 #15

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Your talking about # 18 in the oil pump diagram. I had the pump apart and cleaned it good/rebuilt but i never popped off the piece that holds the spring and ball in place. Ill have a look into that. I was riding it just a little while ago and i could feel that engine getting too hot judging by the heat on my legs while i was wearing shorts. Accidentally stalled it at a stop sign and after getting her going again it didnt seem to get that hot that time around. So perhaps that ball is getting stuck in there or something.
I gotta figure out why i cant start it using the kick. I always have to bump start it. I raised the needle to 4th position as the manual says and that helped with the choppyness in mid range. Little choppy high 4th and 5th gear. Maybe i need to adjust the float height. Getting there but i still got some issues. No idea why those blinkers blink so fast. Im thinking at this point maybe it has something to do with that new flasher relay i bought that is supposed to be compatible with these bikes.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2023 09:50 by Enduro nut.
09 Aug 2023 09:48 #16

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I just thought of something, could it be the turn signal indicator light on the gauge causing the fast flashing on the blinkers? I put those bulbs in the gauges a year ago and was unaware at that time how much wattage can affect these. I do know that their at least 6 volt bulbs.
09 Aug 2023 22:34 #17

You say new rectifier & new battery but have you actually checked that its charging back to the battery when running. I guess it must be if blinkers run without motor going but get faster when running. Not sure what to think if they get faster & out of control. What relay & bulbs do you have. Battery connected right way around--should blow a fuse if not right, then nothing would work on DC power without motor running, then ac would power it as bulbs don't care ac or dc.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2023 01:57 by RT325.
10 Aug 2023 01:55 #18

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Its not letting me post the link for the flasher relay. Ill try sending it to you in a PM. The rectifier id have to dig a little deep into my ebay history but i used the part number from the diagrams and bought the exact same one that comes stock from the factory. And no i never did test if its charging back to the battery while its running. Not sure how i would go about in doing that but im confident that is working correctly. Im thinking its something to do with the wattage of the gauge bulbs or perhaps even the relay. I checked the bulbs earlier and all they say on them is 51. I dont remember where i bought these but im probably just gonna order some new ones by using the part number unless you happen to know the exact ones i need?
10 Aug 2023 09:29 #19

I'm not that clever on electrics when things aren't straight forward. I guess to check if its charging, the voltage should rise at the battery if you hooked a volt meter sensitive enough across the battery & watched as you bring the revs up. I do it differently with an amp meter by disconnecting negative & putting the meter between 'that' & earth & get an instant amperage rise "or no rise" if not charging. Not sure if all amp meters start from the middle--guess the must--to show a below zero to see the draw from--say blinkers in this case--then the rise above zero showing the charging is above the line.
10 Aug 2023 17:11 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart