facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

New Tires

• Billy Mild
  • Billy Mild's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

New Tires was created by Billy Mild

My 1971 Yamaha AT1-c had new tires put on about 20 years ago. They still have plenty of tread but when riding I can almost feel the knobs while on the street. This bike has been fully restored and won't see any off road use at this point. I'm thinking it is time to swap out the tires. What kind of tires is everyone running? I would like to keep it stock looking as much as possible, but have decent on road characteristics. 

www.cyclegear.com/tires/shinko-sr-241-series-tires

I saw these tires and they remind me of the original ones. Any one running them? 
10 Jul 2023 08:26 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Phyllo on topic New Tires

I put that model Shinko’s on my DT3 250. I have no complaints. Sounds like you and I treat our bikes the same way, IE, garage queens… The sidewall says to run around 32 PSI cold, so I do and they feel fine on the street.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2023 09:26 by Phyllo. Reason: Spelling
10 Jul 2023 09:24 #2

Replied by Clegg on topic New Tires

I have the 241's on my AT1 also. They seem to roll fine on the street.
1971 SL350, 1973 Bultaco Matador, 1978 XS650, 1979 MX175, 1982 XT250, 1982 GS650, 1982 CB450T HAWK, 1979 IT175, 1977 Suzuki TS185
10 Jul 2023 11:12 #3

• Billy Mild
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Billy Mild on topic New Tires

I read one review that said it was a radial tire. Is that true? I would maybe try to change these out myself vs. paying a shop to mount them.
10 Jul 2023 11:49 #4

Replied by Phyllo on topic New Tires

I don’t think they are radials. I changed mine easily with a set of motion pro irons and Yamaha tire mounting spray. I was skeptical of the spray but decided to try it and it does help the tire slide on easier…
10 Jul 2023 11:59 #5

Replied by Tom P on topic New Tires

They aren't radials, and do look very similar to stock Yokohama Trail Sport tires. I bought mine around a year ago and have 2K miles on them, all on-road. I had been running close to or slightly above the PSI suggested in my CT-1 owners manual for "on road", 14 front, 18 rear, and the steering was a bit heavy, and at speed was slightly wobbly. Since MarkT posted the updated Yamaha "on road" PSI suggestion for 125/175s yesterday, I have the cold PSI at 22 front and 26 rear (2 PSI below the recommendation). After a 10 mile ride at 70 degrees F, they were at 24/28 and handle MUCH better. Cornering is much steadier, and no wobble at up to 60 MPH. I changed mine with a pair of 9" tire irons, and a spray bottle with diluted dish soap. Not that hard at all. Even though the rims were rusty on the exterior, the interior looked factory-fresh.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
10 Jul 2023 14:22 #6

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic New Tires

The soap mixture is good… 50/50… I applied with a brush… AND since it’s summer, put them out in the sun before putting them on… watch a couple vids… not hard to do.
Sneezles61
10 Jul 2023 15:19 #7

Replied by Tom P on topic New Tires

Thinking back, I actually used an old dish brush with ~50/50 dish soap and water. The kind that has soap in the handle, which is dispensed by pushing a button.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
10 Jul 2023 15:39 #8

• Billy Mild
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Billy Mild on topic New Tires

Since my spokes and rims were polished about 7 years ago this motorcycle sees little to no water. I don't even wash it. I use bucketless car wash and rags. I'm probably a bit paranoid, but it is just so nice now.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
11 Jul 2023 05:53 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart