facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Picked up a CT3

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Picked up a CT3 was created by bhepp15

As title states, picked up a CT3 this week! Have the rt3 and dt3 as wel so looking to get an AT and LT from 73 as well at some point. It’s a great bike, runs pretty well and tires are even in pretty good shape. PO had someone do carb work on it and they replaced original airbox with pod filter and trashed air box, which is the only downside as well as the usual missing fender. Plan on doing crank seals, check oil pump, and clean gas tank and then ride it around the lakes.  As title states, picked up a CT3 this week! Have the rt3 and dt3 as wel so looking to get an AT and LT from 73 as well at some point. It’s a great bike, runs pretty well and tires are even in pretty good shape. PO had someone do carb work on it and they replaced original airbox with pod filter and trashed air box, which is the only downside as well as the usual missing fender. Plan on doing crank seals, check oil pump, and clean gas tank and then ride it around the lakes.  

Looks like I cant add pictures right now, will come back to do that later.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: darinm
Last edit: 16 Jun 2023 06:01 by bhepp15.
16 Jun 2023 05:59 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Picked up a CT3

There is a banner at the top on many pages.  Picture hosting is down again.  Mako is working on it.  You'll need to use a 3rd party and link pics here for now.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bhepp15
16 Jun 2023 06:48 #2

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic Picked up a CT3

After riding the bike a little bit and starting to focus on giving it a freshen up to keep it running well I noticed it sounds like it's got some piston slap. Havent dug into the top end yet to see what I'm dealing with. Ideally just a hone and some new rings would do it. Not trying to get myself into another full rebuild hah.. still need to send my rt3 jug and crank to bill bune for bore and rebuild.
23 Jun 2023 11:20 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Picked up a CT3

Hone & rings won't stop piston slap.
Maybe if the new rings run those expanders behind them it might help for a bit.
Hope the rattle isn't bad & can get by till next time.
Lower skirt clearance is the worry though with rattle.

Warning--don't read any further.

Don't do what i did [DON'T i said lol]--Heated the piston up until smoking [Really Smoking Hot] with an old gudgeon pin in place then squeezed it in the bench vice across the gudgeon. Then it was a tight push into the cylinder & still a bit of a tight fit when cooled. Did shut up any rattle though. Think i sold it [dodgy seller me], yeah remember who bought it now & it kept going, was a local & close to home. Just a YG5T in the "70's.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, DaveHunter, Ht1kid, Sneezles61, lostmybearing
23 Jun 2023 16:47 #4

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Right yeah, I couldn't remember exactly how that worked but I guess its piston slap not ring slap lol. The slap isn't too bad I'll probably just ride it this summer and deal with it in the winter. That's quite the solution there! I'm not quite that bold, or creative!
26 Jun 2023 05:40 #5

Replied by Yamfan on topic Picked up a CT3

These motors always rattle. Rebore and new piston, will reduce the noise, but so will damper rubbers between the fins.
26 Jun 2023 06:01 #6

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Yes they are very raw sounding. I haven't had them long enough to distinguish between slight piston slap or just the way it is. Especially when I pick up a new one. At least with my DT3 I've heard it run enough I can easily notice if something changes.
27 Jun 2023 08:50 #7

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Picked up a CT3

Can you post a video also don’t forget the brake shoes
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, bhepp15
27 Jun 2023 14:38 #8

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Can never forget the brake shoes! I'll see if I cant get a video linked here today. I have one video of it running, not sure how great it is.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
28 Jun 2023 09:20 #9

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Here’s a link to the video I have of it. This is when I first got it so it want idling very well yet. Running better now. Let me know if it sounds healthy
youtube.com/shorts/cEMrtWeHmAg?feature=share

Last edit: 28 Jun 2023 14:02 by bhepp15. Reason: info add
28 Jun 2023 10:08 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart