facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT Exhaust Silencers (add on)

Replied by DVM on topic RT Exhaust Silencers (add on)

MarkT wrote:
"Baffles in a true "sleeper pipe" remain intact... they precisely added an internal cone inside the original exhaust to reflect pressure waves. This boosted power by making the stock pipe act more like an aftermarket two stroke expansion chamber."

Actually the baffle plates were removed on all Sleeper Pipes that Dave and I made (in my garage). A cone was then made and placed as far back in the pipe as possible that the original spark arrestor assembly would allow. We never removed the spark arrestor as we wanted to our Sleeper Pipes to always pass an inspection

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Most Sleeper Pipes were only slightly louder than stock although a few were a little louder

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

03 Mar 2023 13:24 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic RT Exhaust Silencers (add on)

Thanks DVM... baffle "plates" is not what came to my mind... please correct me if I'm wrong but those are more a "liner" that originally had a thin layer of mat underneath.

My definition of "baffles" are the spark arrestor and muffler inserts at the pipe outlet... the ones we removed and threw away as kids. DOH!

The original post may have meant the baffles as the "liner" as you described...

And it is subjective but I still stand by my statement that the great "sleeper pipes" you and Dave made sounded a bit "crisper"... not really "louder" to my ears.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
03 Mar 2023 17:36 #12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart