facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh

• Hockins
  • Hockins's Avatar Topic Author

Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh was created by Hockins

I'm looking for help with an electrical problem (no spark) on my 72 DT2.  I don't have the experience to be sure I'm even reading my multimeter properly.  I've bought three different models and still get reading that jump all over the place.  I did fine with the rest of the restore but I am clearly over my head trying to get spark. 

I'm looking for a mechanic or an enthusiast near Pittsburgh (don't trust the local shops)  who I can pay to walk me through it or do the work.    Please advise.  The bike hasn't been started in 50 years and it's on my bucket list to get it running.  Please advise.  
Last edit: 28 Jan 2023 11:34 by Hockins.
28 Jan 2023 10:58 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tom P on topic Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh

To be honest, you might have better luck asking here and sticking with it yourself. Not many folks work on these old bikes, and there are members here that can really help. The ignition systems are pretty simple on these 50 year old bikes.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2023 11:48 by Tom P.
28 Jan 2023 11:47 #2

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh

Like Tom said you're probably better off getting help here. I'm an electrical moron and not long after getting my DT2 it lost spark but with the help of folks here I was able to get the proper multi meter, one that has the Rx1 that Mark T suggests, and was able to get it going. While I'm still an electrical moron I have a slightly better understanding of how these old bikes work electrically and am sure that I will need help in the future with same...
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
28 Jan 2023 12:09 #3

Replied by Papawhellie on topic Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh

Agreed, you will be paying big bucks for someone more clueless than you. Follow the advice and you can do it. No cdi so no ifs on it, it will or won’t testing. Cdi with pulse coils and primitive electronics is a crap shoot.
28 Jan 2023 19:30 #4

Replied by RT325 on topic Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh

If the points are visibly opening & shutting then just give them a scratch through the window if you can & i'll bet she lights up. I have some sandpaper sticks here in a manicure set i've never used but i think that would work good for a basic scratch as are quite stiff so won't easily fold up like straight sand paper. I used to just fold some gritty emery cloth which was stiff enough to push pull a few times, then blow the points with compressed air while still open or spray with CRC5-56 penetrating oil where i am, or whatever similar is where you are just be sure there's no grit left behind & they should contact good. Actualy i think i have points files from old i'd forgotten about. Wonder if you can still get them--thin narrow flat files. Mention "points" at the shop & they'll probably look at you funny--what are they lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid
Last edit: 30 Jan 2023 23:30 by RT325.
30 Jan 2023 23:26 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh

Many digital meters are total crap when trying to take readings on these bikes... they jump all over the place. It's not you!

Get an old-fashioned analog (swinging needle) ohmmeter with an "Rx1" scale... very important that it has an Rx1 scale... usually several available on ebay, Amazon, etc... some from under $20 new... be careful because many have an "x10" scale and you really need an "x1" scale for the resistance... not the same a "x1k".

Simpson is a good name brand.... I've have mine for decades...

Here's an inexpensive one with an Rx1 setting on Amazon for under $20 www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-GMT-318-Mu...ction/dp/B00291X79O/
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Schu, Hockins
31 Jan 2023 04:55 #6

• Hockins
  • Hockins's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Hockins on topic Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh

Thanks to Mark T for the Multimeter tip. I got one and it's working perfect. I can finally get some repeatable results. Back to work. Thanks for the pep talk on not giving up.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal, AirborneSilva, Ht1kid
02 Feb 2023 12:05 #7

Replied by 19stuberd on topic Need a mechanic in or near Pittsburgh

Hey! Sorry to hear about the problems, as I have mentioned in another comment I was very recently in the same place you were. As mark has pointed out, lots of digital multimeters struggle to take measurements on these bikes, an issue that I myself have run up against a few times. I'm pretty sure this issue is due to electromagnetic interference being created by the coils while you're trying to take measurements, but it is very irritating to come up against. Also it sounds like mark beat me to this one too, but having the right precision range is very worthwhile. Most multimeters have a fixed precision range regardless of the resistance setting (such as 3 figures regardless of what range you are set to) and mine goes down to a Rx10 setting, so with three digits of precision that means I only get single decimal place readings (XX.X) whereas if I had had a Rx1 setting, I would have had 2 decimal places with the same number of digits (X.XX). I'm late to the punch I'm afraid but there's at least some background info that might be useful for you.
16 Feb 2023 10:18 #8

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart