facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Were points were replaced as a service item?

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
I don't want to hijack an existing thread, so thought I'd start a new one.

Does anyone know if, back in the day when these old points models were dealer serviced, the points were replaced as a matter of course, whether or not they actually needed replacing?
02 Jul 2022 06:44 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Only when needed. Most often just cleaning the points and distributor cap and rotor contacts were all that were needed. I remember sometimes a distributor cap would develop a path to ground or something like that, but they'd last for tens of thousands of miles. Same with the points and condenser.

That said, there probably was a mileage recommendation when to replace them, but I don't remember how many miles. I would imagine something like 30,000 or so.

I just checked the Haynes guide for my old 1973 Toyota Celica, it says "renew" the spark plugs and points every 12,000 miles or annually. Considering how cheap they were, and how easy it is to do in a car, I can see doing that, though I don't think most people did.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal
Last edit: 02 Jul 2022 07:24 by Tom P.
02 Jul 2022 07:03 #2

Skip to end to bold text bypass a long ramble... 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Loaded question.  Decades ago in high school when I had my first job (auto parts store) I met the manager of a local tire store.  We became friends and after a few years he took a huge risk and opened his own store. 

One of his "recommended services" was literally changing the air in the tires!  He would tell customers that it was important to come in twice a year and have the air changed because it was not good to drive in winter with summer air in the tires.  I think this "service" cost $9.95 or something but he had coupons for a "free air change" and if you bought tires they included free air changes for the life of the tires. 

He even made a tool out of an old air conditioning evacuation vacuum pump that would deflate the tires fast and with a flip of a lever, refill with "fresh air". 

It might sound like he was a crook...  he really wasn't.  He never actually charged anyone a penny to change the air in the tires.  If someone pressed or challenged the necessity, he would simply hand them a coupon to have it done for free. 

It was simply a marketing strategy.  He had a strong belief in only selling people what they really needed and doing first-class work.  The "air change" was just a gimmick to get people to come in and they could do an inspection.  He'd give them honest advice about what they found...  like tire wear showing an alignment problem that was making the tires wear out prematurely or a worn ball joint that could become dangerous.   Very low pressure sales technique...  he would just tell customer what they found, tell them he could fix it, and if they balked would simply suggest they have their own mechanic or another tire place take a look at it...  especially if it was more serious.  He honestly believed in saving people money and keeping them safe. And catching an alignment issue early by frequent inspections can save the tires....  once tire cupping gets to a certain point, nothing will stop it. 

In the early days, he didn't even have an alignment rack. He would just advise people have it done ASAP.  Eventually he did alignments and even bought a "tire shaver" machine that was like a big lathe and if tire wear pattern wasn't too bad could grind the tire back to true.  Some of the performance guys would have even brand new tires "trued up" after mounting on the wheels. 

I've rambled enough...  without going into detail on how well this strategy worked and possibly why Steve-o ended up with six stores after a few years and became a millionaire many times over. 

Contrast this with many shops today selling dubious and unneeded "services" that are just a waste of money and make the shop high profits. 

Point is that because a shop someplace replaced points as a matter of course, doesn't mean it was needed or suggested by Yamaha. 

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall seeing a Yamaha maintenance schedule that recommends magneto ignition point and/or condenser replacement at a mileage interval.  Ironically, Yamaha does recommend very regular ignition timing checks and timing adjustments which normally does not require any parts. 

I say "ironically" because many people today want to change the points and condenser "just because" while hoping they don't need to set the timing.  Or just winging the timing settings and being happy with getting timing "close enough to run".   Exactly the opposite of what Yamaha recommends.  And, yes, I get it.  Setting timing accurately on a points magneto might be "free" in terms of parts required, yet it does require special tools, patience, and the whole process can be confusing to understand if not familiar.  It's not one of my favorite things to do.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm, Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, alnarv
02 Jul 2022 07:53 #3

I want to point out (pun only slightly intended) that I specifically mentioned Yamaha magneto points as fitted to most Yamaha Enduro models with points.

Battery-ignition points used on some models and are the type used on most cars are a different animal.  Battery points handle and switch many times the current of magneto points and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a recommended replacement interval. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid, alnarv
02 Jul 2022 08:03 #4

Amen MarkT yes sometimes it seems like it takes forever to set the timing correct with the magneto in the way 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
02 Jul 2022 08:06 #5

Talking air!!, have ya ever smelt old air coming out of a tyre or tube. Stinks so bad haha i recon you could 'sell' new air if the customer got a wiff of that lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Snglsmkr, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
02 Jul 2022 18:41 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart