facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
As the title states, I replaced the seal and got it running again and now when I put it into gear it won’t drive. I lost the ball in the push rod but I got a new one today so I thought that was all good. Put new clutch friction plates in as wel and got rid of cushion rings. I’m not sure what I messed up here but very frustrating. I’m sure you guys will know my mistake… ugh. I should’ve probably checked to see if it would go into gear before installing everything and filling with oil 
Last edit: 15 May 2022 17:23 by bhepp15.
15 May 2022 17:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first thought is maybe you only "thought" you lost the ball?  And now there's two? 

Not sure what year and model you're working on so that info would help.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
15 May 2022 17:34 #2

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

Ugh I always forget. Dt3. And yes I was careful for that and looked in there and saw the concave of the other side of push rod also without other the ball the clutch would not actuate… is the pushrod supposed to be flush to basket as it was not as it is installed now. 
15 May 2022 18:16 #3

Did you put all five friction plates in, and all five steel plates? Did you start with a friction plate? The springs aren't sitting on your workbench are they? You did the push rod adjustment correctly? Tighten it just until it touches, then back it off a quarter-turn or so, then tighten the lock nut while holding the screw? .Also a little bit of free play in the clutch lever?
15 May 2022 18:16 #4

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Yes yes and it’s not much of a workbench but they aren’t there. Now this pushrod adjustment is something I haven’t seen.. may have missed a page in the manual? It’s the diamond shaped thing in the other side I assume. I probably cant do that with side cover and clutch all installed now
Last edit: 15 May 2022 18:34 by bhepp15.
15 May 2022 18:31 #5

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

This is a NOS DT/RT/1/2/3 clutch. At the bottom is the boss, then a thicker steel plate, then a thick spacer, then a steel plate, then a friction plate and alternating on up to the top.

There is a thrust plate between the boss and hub as well as other components behind the basket/primary gear.

When I rebuild a clutch I verify operation and adjustment before installing the right side crankcase cover and then again after installing the cover but before putting the oil.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
Last edit: 15 May 2022 18:44 by 1971DT250.
15 May 2022 18:33 #6

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks! I did install that part correctly I made sure to double check during installation
15 May 2022 18:35 #7

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

It's also possible to disturb the shift mechanism when working in the clutch area.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: msavitt
15 May 2022 18:37 #8

The pushrod adjustment is on the left side, so you don't need to drain the oil and remove the right side cover to do it. On my CT-1 it just requires removing three screws and the cover over the flywheel. I'm not sure if yours has a separate cover on the left side for the pushrod adjustment, but it should be on the left side.

Here's a picture from my CT-1 manual how to adjust the pushrod and clutch lever, yours may be very similar 

Last edit: 15 May 2022 19:11 by Tom P.
15 May 2022 18:38 #9

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks for all the help!! We adjusted the push rod and it rides! Gotta fine tune it I think yet and get the carburater tuned right and we’re on our way for summer 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: msavitt, Tom P
15 May 2022 20:19 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart