facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Ditching the Phillips Head

• Zacjust32
  • Zacjust32's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Zacjust32 on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

I did not know about the JIS heads, interesting knowledge. But as someone mentioned, they're often stripped long before they get to me. And I also think Allens are superior to Phillips in general, less likely to cam out even with the right fastener (YMMV).

I did make a point not to get stainless fasteners when I upgraded. As previously pointed out, stainless has a bad propensity for galling and corroding other metals. When I worked in food processing machinery it was all stainless and everything had antiseize on it to reduce galling itself. They work and look pretty, just remember to grease them. 
28 May 2021 14:27 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by JayB on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

You learn something new every day.  I have been pounding the $#!@& out of side and center case Yamaha screws using Phillips #3 drivers for years.  I always thought that JIS were marked with a dot or cross.  They are not always marked!
28 May 2021 15:48 #12

Replied by DaveHunter on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

Same here JayB, just received today a set of the JIS bits that fit into a nifty T handle holder and it’s like “ why did I wait to do this ? “      $20 from Yamabits
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
28 May 2021 15:57 #13

Replied by shyted on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

If i was competing i would use allen head screws as cases and the like are on and off like a brides nighty . For looks i prefer JIS screws .
As far as stainless goes , it's just the worst metal to work with and think on our era of bikes should be avoided.
The food industry loves stainless and sounds like you to have had the privilege of removing fittings that go in easy but then will not come back out because they've galled up .
So now you know about JIS. Good on here you know.
29 May 2021 01:41 #14

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

I haven't started my rebuild RT2-360, but this is an interesting thread to gain a bit more insight.. My hope is to get it a close to original, which may take a few years.. Thank you all for sharing and caring!
Sneezles61
04 Jun 2021 12:27 #15

Replied by mdscott on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

Working at a Yamaha dealer in the 70’s we had t-handle Phillips (jis) screw drivers, I believe they were from Yamaha. I remembered they worked great and cammed out. 

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
04 Jun 2021 14:52 #16

Replied by asco on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

I have a ton of money tied up in Snap On Tools. I need both a #2 & #3 JIS sockets for my 3/8" Hand Impact. As I too, will be drilling and/or chiseling two Stator fasteners that really should have come loose with my good stuff. But they didn't ...

YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
Last edit: 04 Jun 2021 18:07 by asco.
04 Jun 2021 18:06 #17

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

For those of us in the UK, Yambits to a six piece JIS set - sizes #1, #2 and #3 in two different lengths each, 1/4 inch drive and fit into a magnetic T bar.
04 Jun 2021 23:17 #18

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

Asco,  save yourself some grief and buy a good Vessel Impact Driver kit.  I have the Snap on driver and bits...  bits are not only expensive but they shatter.  Yes, they replace for free but not fun to hunt down tool truck and then sometimes wait until they order the bit.  Bit is held into socket part with a small roll pin...  they just replace the bit, not the whole thing. 

Caveat is my experience is a few decades old...  maybe they changed something by now.  Bits I have are gold colored (or coloured so Uncle Al understands

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

) in a chrome 3/8 drive socket.  I still have a broken one I never got fixed.

Vessel drivers are excellent and the old metal box kits can be found used on ebay cheap if you're patient.  The fancy new Vessel kit comes with long and short bits and a nice rubber grip that helps protect the hand from a hammer blow.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JGersh, Gr8uncleal
05 Jun 2021 06:10 #19

Replied by ANELCT175 on topic Ditching the Phillips Head

Im not sure that this is a factor, but you can torque down an allen head bolt a lot more than a JIS or phillips.  I'd be careful when using allen heads on the aluminum cover plates. Sometimes cast parts crack easily in my experience. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
14 Jun 2021 10:13 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart