facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

• nhsteve
  • nhsteve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it??? was created by nhsteve

I am pretty interested in this '71 DT1 I have spotted on Craigslist. It is about a 3 hour drive for me one way. It appears to have been stripped down as a 'play bike', but does not look to have been abused terribly. I see a cracked left sprocket cover, split in the back fender, scratches on the tank, missing the headlight, taillight, and meters. But it is otherwise (to me) presentable. What the seller does not say is anything about the engine/transmission at all. First questions would involve the motor turning over, shifting, etc. I assume carb/tank needs cleaning.

I actually have a spare headlight assembly and other bits already.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts from people on it's value. He is asking $1200. I know these go for less out west, but this is the northeast, and I don't see a lot of these. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 06 Apr 2021 15:20 by nhsteve. Reason: Information added
06 Apr 2021 15:18 #1

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by msavitt on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

for what it is worth...my two cents 

I just bought a nearly complete (missing turn signals front and back, chain guard, air cleaner cover (easy to make) ) for $1700 which I told myself was $1450 since I sold a drywall screw gun on ebay for $250 :-).  Oh and of course it "ran when parked" BS.

trans shifts nicely and lucked out (I hope) with a tight bottom end and a STD bore that yeilded spec ring gaps aftger a light honing and an oil pump that puts out spec at 200 turns....but it is a gamble and I still have not starter her up, but will do so soon!

and after going thru it thoroughly spend another $1500 on parts such as all seals (SW for crank), turn signals, better speedo/tach, seat cover/foam, tires/tubes/brakes/wheel brgs, virtually every grommet and I am happy, which I think is the way to look at this.

Oh, and also another few hundred to deal with the no title its hot risk in CA to get title and registration/plates issue addressed in CA so I can ride it without police hassle and have good market value if I decide to sell (which is the cover story with wife - I will let my kids figure it out when dead).

So if you like the bike and have the scratch to basically spend double to get it roadworthy then make yourself happy and do it!

But this is just me, a dude who spent his formative years below the poverty line now playing a bit of catch up after almost finishing raising 4 fine young men.

I hope this makes sense, just my perspective
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ajc, darinm, nhsteve, Andy L
06 Apr 2021 15:32 #2

Replied by msavitt on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

oh and I just paid $30 plus shipping for the only "250" oil tank sticker left on earth....I feel like my kids trying to find a rare Pokemon card 25 years ago!
06 Apr 2021 15:33 #3

Replied by Schu on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

You can always take the stance that it is clearly worth the asking price in parts alone if you were to dismember the bike and part it out. (Please don't) However, when bikes are sold "as is" and not running, they almost always sell for less than price of the parts.

Do you like it? Are you willing to spend $1,200? Take the ride with cash in hand and see if you can get it for $900. Step up your offer and see what he will take. Last resort is to say well thanks for your time, which quite often seals the deal at your last offer.

Good Luck!
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, nhsteve, Andy L
06 Apr 2021 15:50 #4

Replied by RTD2 on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

yzdecals.afegraphics.com/index.php?admin...1E%20250%20ENDURO%27

AFEGraphics has the oil tank decal for $10.95 plus shipping, that is who I got the decal for my 70 DT1 MX.

Mike
68 DT1, 70 DT1C MX, 70 Husqvarna 250 Cross; 71 CT1C, 71 RT1B, 71 DT1E MX, 73 AT3MX, 73 MX360, 76 Honda Elsinore; 2021 KTM 500 EXC-W; 2001 Honda XR400R; 2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ajc, MarkT
06 Apr 2021 16:00 #5

Replied by HouseofEnduro on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

A '71 DT1 in that condition would likely bring about $800 in Los Angeles, value hurt quite a bit by the missing lights and gauges to buyers around here. Looks to be a fairly easy rebuilder, and the value will jump when complete, stock, and running. Gas tank certainly looks pretty nice for the age, and the Hooker pipe would likely sell for more than the cost of a nice stock replacement pipe if you choose to go that route. Missing equipment is rather easy to find for that model, tail lights are plentiful, as are '71 gauges on ebay.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, nhsteve
06 Apr 2021 18:21 #6

• nhsteve
  • nhsteve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by nhsteve on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

Appreciate the comments. All true. As of this morning it is still there, I have not sent him an email about it yet. 

I have 18 other bikes at the moment (not all Yamahas), and am currently involved to my eyeballs in the '68 renovation. My wife is very understanding about my obsession, err....hobby. However she has pointed out to me that I can get pretty crazy during the rebuilds. Also, the garage is quite full, I do need to sell a few on (but, but, but...

).

So still in the contemplation stage, but I will need to jump soon I suspect.

Thanks very much all! 

07 Apr 2021 05:58 #7

Replied by JayB on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

Time to buy another Yamaha!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ajc, 1971DT250
07 Apr 2021 06:30 #8

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Schu on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

Do it.
Do it.

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
07 Apr 2021 15:22 #9

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by DaveHunter on topic 1971 DT1 on CL--- Is it worth it???

Steve-
  I live in the town it’s listed in. I believe it was you who helped out my nephew Jason a while ago with some parts we needed for his DT. That was much appreciated!
  If you decide to pull the trigger I can check it out for you and am going to Livingston’s swap meet in NH mid May with a trailer....
07 Apr 2021 15:45 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart