facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

'72 DT2 Question

  • Posts: 234
  • Likes received: 172

Replied by LETSJET on topic '72 DT2 Question

The best Yamaha 250 is the 1970 model by far, because it's red, a badge bike, and I have one. ;) Also, no dim turn signals, a cleaner look IMO, this post is IMO also.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
Last edit: 25 Jan 2021 10:20 by LETSJET.
25 Jan 2021 10:19 #11

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 9472
  • Likes received: 5401

Replied by MarkT on topic '72 DT2 Question

LETSJET wrote: The best Yamaha 250 is the 1970 model by far, because it's red, a badge bike, and I have one. ;) Also, no dim turn signals, a cleaner look IMO, this post is IMO also.


First ride on I ever had on a motorcycle was on a brand new 1970 DT1... :likey



One thing about Yamaha is they didn't rest on their laurels... the 72 was another iconic bike in my opinion. I love the clean look.

:Buds
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, JayB, msavitt
25 Jan 2021 12:17 #12

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 404
  • Likes received: 459

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic '72 DT2 Question

MarkT wrote:

LETSJET wrote: The best Yamaha 250 is the 1970 model by far, because it's red, a badge bike, and I have one. ;) Also, no dim turn signals, a cleaner look IMO, this post is IMO also.


First ride on I ever had on a motorcycle was on a brand new 1970 DT1... :likey



One thing about Yamaha is they didn't rest on their laurels... the 72 was another iconic bike in my opinion. I love the clean look.

:Buds

Mark, was that photo taken on the same day as your avatar picture, and was that your stock riding gear back then? :haha
Yamaha RT-1
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Honda XR250
25 Jan 2021 12:56 #13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 9472
  • Likes received: 5401

Replied by MarkT on topic '72 DT2 Question

Pete-RT1 wrote: Mark, was that photo taken on the same day as your avatar picture, and was that your stock riding gear back then? :haha


Yes and yes. Picture was likely taken many months earlier than the developed date on the border. Photos were an expensive luxury when I was a kid. It was not uncommon for a roll of film to stay in the camera for a year... I remember after one birthday we went to Thrifty to pick up the developed photos and the roll had pictures of last year's birthday party too!

I do not recommend my riding gear choice. Especially the shorts. I burned the heck out of my leg on the exhaust that day.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, Swoop56, Pete-RT1
25 Jan 2021 14:13 #14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 404
  • Likes received: 459

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic '72 DT2 Question

Mark, I know exactly what you mean about photos on a film being taken over a long time period.
I remember my sister getting a camera for Christmas or birthday and it had the disposable flash bulbs in a row.
Yamaha RT-1
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Honda XR250
25 Jan 2021 14:58 #15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 302
  • Likes received: 233

Replied by Midlife Motor on topic '72 DT2 Question

MarkT wrote:

Pete-RT1 wrote: Mark, was that photo taken on the same day as your avatar picture, and was that your stock riding gear back then? :haha



Yes and yes. Picture was likely taken many months earlier than the developed date on the border. Photos were an expensive luxury when I was a kid. It was not uncommon for a roll of film to stay in the camera for a year... I remember after one birthday we went to Thrifty to pick up the developed photos and the roll had pictures of last year's birthday party too!

I do not recommend my riding gear choice. Especially the shorts. I burned the heck out of my leg on the exhaust that day.

That’s not the Thrifty on Charleston next to Skaggs in Las Vegas is it?
It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
25 Jan 2021 19:47 #16

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 9472
  • Likes received: 5401

Replied by MarkT on topic '72 DT2 Question

Midlife Motor wrote: That’s not the Thrifty on Charleston next to Skaggs in Las Vegas is it?


Nope. It was in So Cal. Store is long gone.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
25 Jan 2021 20:29 #17

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1136
  • Likes received: 337

Replied by asco on topic '72 DT2 Question

LETSJET wrote: The best Yamaha 250 is the 1970 model by far, because it's red, a badge bike, and I have one. ;) Also, no dim turn signals, a cleaner look IMO, this post is IMO also.


I have to agree with you on this one Curt. The Brilliant Red 1970 DT1 is far prettier than any other 250cc model ever produced.. It also has a less restrictive exhaust than the 1968 DT1.
YAMA-LAND RESTORATIONS, 818-521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 1971 CT1-C (BRANDY) 1970 DT1-C (MONICA) 1973 100cc Hodaka Combat Rat (ABBY NORMAL)
25 Jan 2021 21:49 #18

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • BubbaSendsIt
  • BubbaSendsIt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 69
  • Likes received: 20

Replied by BubbaSendsIt on topic '72 DT2 Question

May I humbly remind folks this thread is meant to collect arguments and supporting evidence in favor of the DT2 being the greatest two wheeled machine to ever roll off the factory line?

I know I am the new guy around here, but if I say I am settling a wager with my wife I expect everyone's blind support. ASCO I knew you would be against me, but the others really sting. :haha :haha :haha
1972 Yamaha DT2 250
1965 Ducati Monza 250 (legacy project not running yet)
1966 Ducati Monza 250 (legacy project not running yet)
Hunting: parts/part bikes for above + any 60's-early 70's 250 singles
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
26 Jan 2021 06:19 #19

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1986
  • Likes received: 616

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic '72 DT2 Question

The DT2 is a great bike but the other makes as well as Yamaha competed well against it.

I built a nice DT2 for my neighbor in either the late 80s or early 90s. I rebuilt the engine and had to replace the cylinder because the wrist pin clip came out and it and the wrist pin horribly marred the cylinder. once the engine was rebuilt and broken in, it had very good bottom end power and was a very fun and responsive bike, even doing wheelies was very easy to do.

later I got addicted to the big bores like the 360s and 400s and I have a couple of 1968 DT1s and a 1970 DT1. they are all great bikes

however if were not for the great success of the 1968 DT1, none of these dual purpose bikes including the DT2 would exist.
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
Last edit: 26 Jan 2021 11:05 by Bigdog302.
26 Jan 2021 10:24 #20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart