facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Head light bucket nuts

• Enduro nut
  • Enduro nut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Head light bucket nuts was created by Enduro nut

Hey guys im having trouble finding another nut for the head light bucket. In the diagram it lists it as part #17, this is a for a 1974 Yamaha DT250 but when i search the results i dont get that special nut. I have one of the 2 and i know i can just use any old nut but i like to keep stuff as close to factory as possible.

18 Oct 2020 14:11 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Head light bucket nuts

It looks like what you have shown isn't a nut (can't see any thread) and wouldn't have been fitted to the US market 1974 DT250A. The headlight bucket mounting nuts and bolts are standard items, as shown in the parts diagram.

The indicators are mounted on the handlebars.

What you have shown in your photo is a part from where an indicator mounts through the fork ears and headlight bucket. The part with the small locating lug sits on the outside and the indicator has a weird washer/collar type part with a locating hole on both sides - one for the indicator and one for the part in your photo. The idea is to make sure that the indicator sits straight. Your part would sit within a rubber mount that itself sits in the hole in the headlight bucket.

Some rear indicators mount in a similar fashion, but I don't think that part is off your bike.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 01:18 by Gr8uncleal.
18 Oct 2020 23:37 #2

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Enduro nut on topic Head light bucket nuts

Your right its not a nut, i always think it is when i see that square lol. I did some digging on this and found that if you pull up a 1975 DT250 diagram of the head light it shows both the old and new style. the new style does have this "collar" along with the square grommet part numbers 24 and 25. As for the old style it has neither of these its like you said its just a basic bolt and nut. Whats funny is the 75 250 indicators also mount on the handle bars so i guess im still a little confused on the purpose of this but oh well.
19 Oct 2020 04:05 #3

Yes, I see now that it fits on the inside of the bucket.

Looks like Yamaha messed around with not having the headlight rubber mounted and then changing to rubber mounted - the two parts that you mention relate to the rubber mounting.

The first 3 characters (ie 214) of the part number relate to the 1968 Japanese market DT1 and this model had the indicators mounted on the fork ears/headlight bucket - there are videos and photos of brochures of this model on the forum.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 05:19 by Gr8uncleal.
19 Oct 2020 05:17 #4

As it sits on the inside, you've got me wondering now (and not for the first time)! why it is such an odd shape with that little lump on it! :unsure:

It might be my memory playing tricks on me, or maybe an owner's "improvement" that I came across years ago, but I have a feeling that I might have seen that part with an earth wire soldered to it. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
19 Oct 2020 08:20 #5

Replied by apex on topic Head light bucket nuts

USA headlight buckets on Enduros used that same part, it fits into the headlight bucket grommet. But...parts diagrams really don't show it! I searched Yamaha's parts catalog and finally found it viewing a '75 DT175. P/N is 214-84145-60-00 and it's called a Collar, Body Fitting. I know I have a spare if you want it, PM if so!
Allrighty Then
19 Oct 2020 08:56 #6

Replied by Rick C. on topic Head light bucket nuts

19 Oct 2020 10:39 #7

This message has an attachment image.

Thanks Rick.

Looks like the part might be from the 75/76 "later" type.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
19 Oct 2020 11:07 #8

This message has an attachment image.

• Enduro nut
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Enduro nut on topic Head light bucket nuts

Great info guys! and that was my conclusion as well the 75+ years is when this little thing came into play. I have a parts 73 AT3 bike with the head light still on it that i plan to take the bulb out and use on this 74 ill have to see if this collar is in there just out of curiosity. Chances are someone at some point swapped the bucket out seeing that it has both the grommets and only 1 of the collars.
19 Oct 2020 13:36 #9

Replied by Rick C. on topic Head light bucket nuts

There you go.
19 Oct 2020 13:51 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart