facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Lubricating Speedo and Tach Drive Cables

• JayMo
  • JayMo's Avatar Topic Author
Hi All

I managed to put together a set of clocks which I will update on my build thread once I hook them up.

My question is around lubing the Speedo and Tach cable... do I give a little squirt of PTFE chain lube? or a couple of drops of light machine oil down each? or is is going to attract dust and foul the cables?

Disclaimer .... I am Noob! .... (didn't manage to score a hit when searching this topic).

Also, do I give the instruments a squirt of PTFE from underneath to wet/lube the internal gears - I got told to do this (even use Mr Sheen) but I don't want to get spray on to the face and glass (I want to cross check this advice!)

Regards and thanks.

BTW It is a 1980 DT175

John.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2020 00:17 by JayMo. Reason: Inserting picture - Doh!
08 Jan 2020 23:40 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by blazeone on topic Lubricating Speedo and Tach Drive Cables

Light machine oil. Chain lube is thick and sticky to keep from flying off the chain not a good thing for cables.
09 Jan 2020 06:31 #2

Replied by nhsteve on topic Lubricating Speedo and Tach Drive Cables

Light oil is ok. I have always slapped a small gob of grease in the palm of one hand and dragged the inner cable through it, working it into the cable. The traditional warning is not to use too much of anything, to avoid the lube working up into the meter.

Don't neglect lubing the actual drive bits in the brake backing plate.
09 Jan 2020 07:17 #3

• JayMo
  • JayMo's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by JayMo on topic Lubricating Speedo and Tach Drive Cables

Thanks nhsteve.

So no lube working up to the meter, does that mean that I should not be giving a light PTFE sprits up the drive hole (not Mr Sheen!) effectively lube up the meter?

Cheers

John
10 Jan 2020 03:31 #4

Replied by nhsteve on topic Lubricating Speedo and Tach Drive Cables

I think the concern was always that "too much" might affect the meter somehow. I've never taken one apart, although I have seen some partially disassembled. I think the workings must get greased during assembly at least. I 'spritz' as you say probably wouldn't be out of place, as long as it's not overdone.

Perhaps DEET might have a better answer :?: ,as he does rebuild meters.
10 Jan 2020 11:16 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart