facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Mystery markings on new resto project

• Amsterjam
  • Amsterjam's Avatar Topic Author

Mystery markings on new resto project was created by Amsterjam

Long story short, I had a reasonable condition it400 fall into my lap for next to nothing from the second owner since the 80s. Low hours on it odo shows 1600kms, from my limited research it looks to be a early production VIN, I'm sure there's a guru here that can set me straight, but I think it's number 60 in Canada? North America? 

I've decided to pull the pin and start a full ground up restoration on it to have it ready for the vintage bike show in fall, and as I started to pull the plastics off to polish and clean I found some mystery numbers and marks scribed into the frame and seat pan, along with an embossed 1W6 in the seat foam. Im sure it's just odd ball things done for no rhyme or reason but I figured I'd share with all of y'all, curious to see what you guys make of it. 

​​​​​​
04 May 2023 10:21 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Mystery markings on new resto project

Under the seat looks like initials and maybe someone's Driver's License or ID Number?

It was popular back in those days to inscribe belongings with your SSN in the USA... they sold kits to do it... if item was stolen, then SSN could be used to trace the owner. Maybe there was a similar trend in Canada? (or US Railroad employees would have received a "711" prefix SSN...)

Seat foam is normal... just the model code. Not sure what row of boxes is for.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Amsterjam
04 May 2023 11:33 #2

• Amsterjam
  • Amsterjam's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Amsterjam on topic Mystery markings on new resto project

Thanks mark! 

Didn't even think about registry numbers/ drivers license.

Seems like a funny thing to emboss the foam, the old seat cover I'm replacing has moulded into the stamp from heat and time. At first I thought someone had left their old license plate on it for 20 years. 
04 May 2023 12:39 #3

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart