facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Fuel tank repair?

• Flint
  • Flint's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Flint on topic Fuel tank repair?

I assume the original tank is PP polypropylene? I ordered some PP rods in all different colors from eBay. It looked to have some lite blue. I’ll see when it gets here and let you know. Thanks 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
27 Jun 2022 16:08 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Scout SS II on topic Fuel tank repair?

I just posted the following in the 'IT425 Replacement tank' thread & then saw this one too, so put it here as well for those of you needing fuel tanks.  I think there are 5 or 6 tanks in addition to what is on the bikes.

I have some IT fuel tanks among many other IT parts available for sale.

Family member passed away last year and among his collection were the following IT's.
1977 IT250  This one will need some TLC.  (Just got it home today.)
1980 IT425  This is in AMAZING condition!!

We have the 1980 IT425 up & running, didn't take much, was stored inside a mini-storage unit.  It rips around really well & takes me back to my 1970's - 1980's of riding dirt bikes.  The 1977 IT250 I just brought home today, it was stored in his parents attached garage.  Motor was replaced but they say he had it up & running and rode it after the engine swap.

Anyway, in addition to these 2 bikes there are a lot of parts.  Tanks, fenders (F&R), side cover/number plates, Front number plates, speedo, headlight, exhaust pipes, silencers, etc.

I am bringing as much as I can fit on my 20' equipment trailer to a swap meet this coming weekend and another swap the following weekend.  Everything must go.  Proceeds from the bikes go to his parents.

I can text pictures of the bikes & parts.  Don't have them on the computer to attach here.  I'll watch for replies to this post for inquires.

Thanks, Dan  
13 Aug 2022 20:29 #12

• Flint
  • Flint's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Flint on topic Fuel tank repair?

Thanks. I had got a new Clarke tank and it leaked. After lots of monkeying back and forth they sent me another one. Don’t put new decals on a tank until it’s been proven not to leak.
01 Sep 2022 18:04 #13

Replied by nisslortz on topic Fuel tank repair?

I have an IT125 that I've been trying to repair a crack in the tank with no success. I found someone to plastic weld it, but it still seeped fuel. I've tried to soldering iron, replacement plastic technique, still seeps fuel. Frustrating because the bike is in excellent condition; there are no replacement tanks for the 125s.
21 Jan 2023 09:25 #14

Replied by RT325 on topic Fuel tank repair?

Is it worth searching for an IT175 tank of the same shape & similar year as possibly didn't change much for a few years untill they redesigned frame & motor which they do every so many years, but the YZ usualy changes a year before the IT models although not always. What year is yours.
21 Jan 2023 22:22 #15

• YamahaForumUsername
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by YamahaForumUsername on topic Fuel tank repair?

I probably have one the highest priced plastic welders  that Wegener made and my welds looked and still do look pretty damn terrible.

Last night after wasting about an hour or 2 smushing shit, filling the giant hole, and smushing more shit, i suprisingly "repaired" my CR125r's plastic tank.

MDPE, not PP.

after finishing, i filled it with some more water, and got a little bit irate that it was still seeping. I said screw it and pulled out an Iron i have for waxing snowboards with that plastic wax called "P-tex". Anyways, i let that iron get super hot, and started just smushing away. It worked.

So....long story short. Despite having a wegener autotherm super plastic welder of my own, the tool that worked was a sub  40 dollar iron.

lol ill post some pictures of this abomination in a few minutes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: ruhappy, Sneezles61
23 Jan 2023 10:45 #16

• YamahaForumUsername
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by YamahaForumUsername on topic Fuel tank repair?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

24 Jan 2023 14:23 #17

Replied by Scout SS II on topic Fuel tank repair?

I just put a 'For Sale' ad up the other day with a ton of Yamaha IT parts that includes 8, yes 8 nice original fuel tanks.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
Last edit: 05 May 2023 08:35 by Scout SS II.
05 May 2023 08:32 #18

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart