facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT360 transmission bearing

• ldw72120
  • ldw72120's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

DT360 transmission bearing was created by ldw72120

The original part number in the parts manual for transmission bearing #31 is 93306-30512. This number was superseded by 10-93306-30517-00. If you use parzilla lookup, it has the part number for bearing #31 as 93390-00012-00 with a #90 as a prefix.
I purchased the original bearing on ebay but am curious about the change in part numbers. Is the new number supposed to be an improved bearing?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
07 Feb 2019 07:10 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Snglsmkr on topic DT360 transmission bearing

I just received the part number 93390-00012 and it is a roller bearing rather than a ball bearing. The dimensions appear the same (as I would fully expect) but there is one other difference that has me perplexed.

On the outside of the outer race there is a small nub about 2mm high and 3mm dia around mid depth. It looks like an index pin to prevent walking. But, it also prevents installation as the bearing pocket does not have a receiving notch for the nub.

I'm suspecting the nub will need to be ground off before I can proceed. Before I proceed I'll see if any forum members have dealt with this issue and how.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, MarkT
01 Mar 2019 20:02 #2

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Enduronut on topic DT360 transmission bearing

As far as I know, the 93390-00012 bearings were first (and only) used on the crankshafts of the TZ models .... but may have eventually found it's way into other applications. The roller bearings are top of the line stuff . . . designed for extreme loads, and high rpms.

It's my opinion that the other ball bearings (mentioned by ldw72120), are completely adequate for the DT360 countershaft, and upgrading to the special roller bearing is overkill, and furthermore, does not make mechanical nor economical sense.

I'm not sure who (at Partzilla) decided to list this as a replacement bearing for the DT360 transmission, (I seriously doubt that it's Yamaha's idea) ... but I can tell you this . . . that someone is making more profit selling these, while reducing their expensive inventory.

And yes, that nub is for indexing purposes (in the TZ cases) ... to help eliminate the possibility of spinning the outer race.

Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, mdscott, Jack
Last edit: 23 May 2020 15:59 by Enduronut.
01 Mar 2019 22:23 #3

Enduronut, thank you for the candid and informative reply.

The bearing is an expensive part. Your suggestion that this "supercede" part choice may not have been a Yamaha corp decision helps explain why it is not a drop-in replacement and requires modification.

I'll carefully check the dimensions before I hack on it to make sure it will fit correctly.

Unfortunately it won't make the bike any faster as it weighs much more than the original!
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
02 Mar 2019 04:33 #4

Replied by MarkT on topic DT360 transmission bearing

I have a concern about using the roller bearing... I'm not sure if it's valid though.

Roller bearings can't take any side loads. The gears are all straight cut on the output shaft so no problem there. (Helical cut gears, like the stock clutch gear, would put a side load on the shaft and can't be used on a shaft supported only with roller bearings.)

With two roller bearings on the output shaft could it be possible that the shift forks might move the whole shaft side-to-side a little? I think you might need one ball bearing on the shaft to take any side loads created by the shift forks sliding the gears side-to-side?

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut
02 Mar 2019 05:01 #5

That's a good point MarkT.

I'm thinking the drive chain may add side loads under certain conditions as well.

I'm going to return the roller and look for the original PN.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.:Buds
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut
02 Mar 2019 11:32 #6

I have found a wrong turn in my search for this transmission output shaft bearing.

And I'm going to blame it on my GPS!

The transmission exploded view for the part I'm referring to shows this as item #31.

The site I was using to identify the part number is the Babbitts OEM parts site. The parts listing shows the original part number (93306-30511-00) struck out and the supersede number as 93390-00012-00. This replacement is the roller bearing with the nub that I received.

The original part (93306-30511-00) seemed elusive until a discovery was made. I went to another long time supplier of these vintage bike parts (Speed and Sport) and searched using their exploded view and parts listing. What I found was they have item 31 listed as 93306-30512-00. :?:

After some digging on this PN I find that it is superseded by PN 93306-30517-00. I also find that both are still available! And the supersede is NOT a roller bearing but what looks like the same ball bearing as the original PN but with a seal on one side.

So, thanks to the input from MarkT and EnduroNut I will be returning a part that would need modification to fit, would likely cause other problems (like drive shaft lateral movement) and that cost 3- 4 times more.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, mdscott
02 Mar 2019 17:43 #7

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by mrstangblb on topic DT360 transmission bearing

I’m about to start on a rebuild of my ‘74 DT360A, and I wide-eyed that $123 part! So am I reading correctly that PN 93306-30517-00 is the one I need to order? Thankfully it’s MUCH cheaper!

Barry
KK4RXN
Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16
11 May 2020 19:34 #8

Replied by mrstangblb on topic DT360 transmission bearing

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=152402860806&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

If you leave one seal in (like the superseded part is supplied) it is important to provide some type of lubrication on the outside seal that goes in the case and over the spacer that is between the sprocket and the inner race of the bearing. I am just guessing but the idea of the added seal at the bearing may be to reduce minor oil "drool" at the countershaft sprocket. I remember this seemed common on the early 70s Enduros that clutter my uncle's garage when I was a teenager.
23 May 2020 20:28 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart