facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

DT360 instability, cant figure it out

• akara1
  • akara1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I have two DT360s, one handles fine and the other feels unstable, the steering wheel wants to flop to either direction at low speed, I cant take my hands off the bars without it weaving all over the place, it dives into turns with a scary flop at high speeds as well.
I restored the bike from the frame up, it has new everything, I checked:
the wheel alignment with laser
checked for bent chassis with digital level on the rear axle and front end, within 1 degree, no twist.
spokes
new swingarm needle bearings
rear shock preload
different tire pressures, 
checked new forks and wheelbearings all tight and new conditions
tried adjusting steering head tighter and looser, no change
fitted a steering damper but it only masks the problem
checked chassis for cracks
tight engine mounts and triple clamps
I'm not sure what to do at this point, I want to sell it because its not fun to ride like this but I dont want to sell a bike with problems like this to someone. Both of my bikes are on the same tires and I cant figure out what is so different about them.

22 Jul 2023 17:32 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Bent Trigger on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

Are there arrows for direction on the tires? Are the fork Springs in spec. Are the pinch bolts on the for triple tree tight and The bars and mounts are tight? Are the Rims the same width with the same tire?
Good Luck and I Hope you figure it out.
1966 Triumph Trophy TR6SR
1970 Husqvarna Sportsman 360
1971 Husqvarna Enduro C 360
1972 Husqvarna 450CR
1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1973 Husqvarna 360RT
1974 Husqvarna 450WR
1977 Amen Savior KZ1000 Chopper
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100 150HP
A TON-O-Generators 1925-1965

22 Jul 2023 17:48 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

First thought is lumpy lower steering races--or top & bottom but weight's on the bottom--causing it to want to stay dead straight but if it escapes the center dent it might just try to get as far from it as it can.
Ok that's streching the imagination but stuffed head races can turn the best rider into a novice again.
Secondly--maybe firstly, if new races are fitted with one too many balls--19x1/4 botton & 22x3/16 top--it'll do something like that but not quite that.
Thirdly--who's counting--if someone has fitted leading axle triples that sit back more in line with the stem--then used straight axle forks that'll turn it crazy--unlikely on your i dare say. Plus the forks would hit the tank on full lock.
Fourthly--if something it causing front wheel to sit on a lean hard to one side it'll want to pull over to the angled side--was common on yamt & honda scooters where they'd had a hard stop into the wall etc & axle lugs on those little arms needed bending to get the wheel vertical,
Fifthly--Umm, time for a cuppa tea.
In theory--well i can--go down the road no hands. Not tried it foir a while. If i don't come back you'll know what happened haha.
One more, reminds me of when RD350's were getting accidend front ended & first one we did with new fork stantions failed to pickup that the alloy sliders were bent. Probably the forks were sticking on assembly which made us look closer.
Wasn't very obvious but could revolve the slider on the fork taking a eyeball line on the damper bolt in the end & became obvious to see. So didn't get caught out twice.
Did try straightening one with limited success but wouldn't recommend doing that unless ya super confidant it's still ok to use.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bent Trigger, msavitt
Last edit: 22 Jul 2023 18:10 by RT325.
22 Jul 2023 18:00 #3

Replied by MarkT on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

Fork angle? Longer shocks in the rear? Large OD rear tire? Front end spring sagging?
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
22 Jul 2023 18:22 #4

Replied by Tom P on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

Sure sounds like something in the steering geometry is different between the two bikes. If you look at them side by side, everything looks the same? Triple tree looks the same, length of forks is the same? Springs operate the same? Any spacers or spring boosters in one that the other one doesn't have?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
22 Jul 2023 20:35 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

Where did ya find needle bearings for the swing/arm pivot.
Sounds like a good idea.
Just thinking, bent [twisted over] swing/arm with rear wheel tilted over would do something similar but not as noticeable as if it had the same in the front wheel sitting 'non vertical'.
That reads hard to follow.
22 Jul 2023 21:26 #6

• Ht1kid
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Ht1kid on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

How did the bike ride before you restored it?
22 Jul 2023 23:03 #7

• akara1
  • akara1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by akara1 on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

Thanks for the ideas guys!! I went out and measured the fork angle with digital level on the "good" bike and it measured 31 degrees, and on the bad bike it was 29 degrees. I think the rear shocks are longer!! Ill try swapping those or raising the front. I also bought some tapered head set bearings ill try that too.

I never rode the bike before because it was a hunk o junk.

Triples are all tight, wheels are original, Shinko Trials tires on both bikes at 20psi. Might try even lower.
The swingarm needle bearing kit was for an XS650, I hd to add 1 shim and it worked perfect.
The chassis is straight.
The front fork springs dont sag more than 30% with me on it. I weigh 160lbs.
23 Jul 2023 03:42 #8

Replied by Tinkicker on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

You will need an assistant to do this.
It is a modification of a technique I used to use for assessing if heavy truck chassis were still true after an accident.  Tools required are string, plumb line and chalk.

Place the bike on a smooth, flat concrete floor.  Get your assistant to hold the bike vertical, steering poining exactly ahead and kept absolutely still, or better still render it immobile and vertical.  The steering and forks must not move.

Take the string and run it down the outside of the fork from the centre of the upper yoke to the center of the axle.
This will tell you if the leg is true.  Keeping the same datum points, run the string to the ground still in a straight line all the way from the upper yoke through axle center to the ground.

Mark where it touches with the chalk.

Take your plumb line and from the centre of the axle mark exactly where the plumbob touches the floor.

Measure the distance between the chalk marks, record it and do the same on the other fork leg.  They should be the same probably within 1/8th of an inch.
You have 4 chalk marks on the floor.  Forward ones are rake and rear ones are castor.

Measure the distance between your rake marks, halve it and place a mark.  Do the same with the castor lines.

Draw a dead straight line between the two marks you just made.

Take two pieces of string and connect your left hand rake mark with your right hand castor mark diagonally.

Do the same with your other two marks.

The point where the two strings cross should be bang on the centre line you made.  If not, something is twisted.

Compare your results with your other bike.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, JayB, nhsteve, Ht1kid, Andy L
Last edit: 23 Jul 2023 04:52 by Tinkicker.
23 Jul 2023 04:49 #9

Replied by Yamfan on topic DT360 instability, cant figure it out

I would suggest putting the front end of the bike that handles ok, into the one that doesn't, and see if that helps. Other things to check are rear shocks, and if the wheels have been rebuilt, are the offsets correct.
23 Jul 2023 08:54 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart