facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 Yamaha DT 125 oil seal replacement

Replied by RT325 on topic 1974 Yamaha DT 125 oil seal replacement

Welcome. Left complete cover comes off easy but think the fist generator cover might 'cover' one screw lower to the right facing it [without looking]. So with first cover off & 'that' screw out--& look for others--main cover will come off. But leak won't be crank. Only takes a sprocket nut to be finger tight/loose to have a leak around the sprocket so i hope it's just that. Clutch pushrod seal maybe [which will be obvious] but i'll guess sprocket nut. How much lean does the side stand have. If it's leaning 'way' over then it's asking to leak even though it shouldn't. Do you have roughly the correct oil level in there. I've seen them filled to the top by mistake. Set it on the floor upright for the night somehow & check the dipstick in the morning [by dipping--not screwed in] & should have a notable area just up from the end of the stick which is the recommended level. All a bit of a guess but i was bought up on these bikes & have a kick start version albeit a few years earlier.
19 Mar 2023 14:07 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tom P on topic 1974 Yamaha DT 125 oil seal replacement

If it was the autolube leaking you'd see the bluish/purplish color of it. If it looks like regular oil, it's from the transmission, though a seal. As was mentioned, make sure the bike is upright when checking the trans oil, and just place the dipstick in to check it (not screwed down). Also a good idea to get some small seal picks to remove them. Makes it very easy. I used aftermarket seals, but still have a slight leak from the clutch pushrod, though they worked well on the crank. I would get Yamaha seals next time.

www.harborfreight.com/mini-pick-and-hook...ln-rDGxoCndoQAvD_BwE
20 Mar 2023 11:04 #12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart