facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Swing arm torque

Replied by RT325 on topic Swing arm torque

Blimey--bad shop. That's a crying shame. So lets get to the crux of the problem--or 'is' there a problem. When bolted up you 'should' be able [with no shocks on or wheel in] to be able to feel a rubbery springy feel pulling up or pushing down on the end of the arm. Will be Very rubbery Springy & not move far each way but return to central. What was the reason for replacing the bushes as i recon they 'never' wear out. If you had 'any' sideways play or movement in the arm it would 'only be' because the main nut wasn't tight enough & was moving on the long through bolt. Not uncomon & have seen it lots over the years on smaller 125 road bikes with the low exhausts hung off that bolt & it eventualy comes loose & moves around. Sorry i do go on i know. Hope the shop didn't charge you anything or bought you a new S/arm.
25 Jul 2022 19:09 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• srsnow
  • srsnow's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by srsnow on topic Swing arm torque

I guess I figured they were 50 years old and should probably be replaced since they were rubber. If I had to do it over again I would have left them alone I think. I was able to get the 3rd swing arm to about 97%, still a little off but close enough to go on the bike, get the bolt in and shocks mounted up.
10 Aug 2022 15:56 #12

Replied by RT325 on topic Swing arm torque

Thanks for the update & hope it works out. Happy mine are still good from 1970. Good old Yamahas eh!!. Reminds me of motocrossing my 500 BSA in the "60's ["54 road bike modified] had those same style bushes & i blamed the rubberyness [is that a word] for getting dumped off through getting in big end swaps at the wrong moment. Lock to lock then spat off like an imposter haha.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
10 Aug 2022 17:32 #13

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart