facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

SC500 build

Replied by RT325 on topic SC500 build

Go on be a deville & fit a 490 crank with more stroke. Not sure what would fit without drama. "79 yz400 went to 82 bore instead of 85 so must be longer stroke than usual 70mm. I'm sure you can do it if anyone can. I did it to my dt1so became 70 x 70 instead of 64 stroke. 6mm plate under the cylinder on yours then lower the port floor. What could be easier--ummm--well, sounds easy at least. Man I talk rubbish!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, turbodan, Sneezles61
Last edit: 01 Jan 2024 12:50 by RT325.
01 Jan 2024 12:38 #61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by automan on topic SC500 build

65 hp by factory, at the engine, for my '74
Worx bike and needed the AMA license for open class, to sell.

55 or so on my '73 stock.

120 pounds of pure moto musk ecle.

cliff
The following user(s) Liked this Post: turbodan
01 Jan 2024 13:15 #62

• turbodan
  • turbodan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by turbodan on topic SC500 build

I did end up widening those A transfers in the process of correcting their entry angle. I'll have to measure that exhaust port too, I can't remember where I set it up exactly. I usually widen them to at least 68 percent of the bore diameter, that would be a little over 64mm. That cycle world article advised going to 70 percent of bore diameter which would be 66.5 for the SC. I'm sure I didn't go that far.

Maybe I'll just see how it does with a good pipe on it.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2024 16:20 by turbodan.
01 Jan 2024 13:27 #63

Replied by Ht1kid on topic SC500 build

Turbodan I’ll ask Joey Lunati if he has a extra cylinder from his late father’s SC500 and would he donate it for you to play with. I really like this thread
The following user(s) Liked this Post: turbodan
01 Jan 2024 15:47 #64

• turbodan
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I'll be sure to try something nutty with it. Custom sleeve with a bridged exhaust port would be inevitable...
01 Jan 2024 16:19 #65

Replied by Knutco11 on topic SC500 build

I had an rt2mx cylinder a few years back, and it had a bridge port on the exhaust. I did run it, but it wasn't right at all. Tore it down and found that the "bridge" was cracked on one side, making a nasty spot to gouge the piston, which it did lol.
07 Jan 2024 09:57 #66

• turbodan
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

They have been known to do that, especially when the cylinder wasn't originally bridged.

I'm thinking about a CR500 sleeve punched into a 360 cylinder. If that works it would result in a displacement of about 435ccs. CR500 pistons are very common and with the large, bridged exhaust port I think it could be a 50 hp motor.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Knutco11, pahiker
07 Jan 2024 13:20 #67

Replied by Knutco11 on topic SC500 build

That would be another cool build, for sure!  The only other 2 stroke motor I worked on with bridge ports was a 600cc twin snowmobile engine, arctic cat suzuki.  They make good power, over 50hp per cylinder I believe.  But that's also in the cold air of winter, and the cold snow makes it easier to keep cool.  Apples to oranges comparison, but the 50hp and bridge port reminded me of those motors for some reason.  They also had a problem with flaking the nikasil off of said bridge port.  I know the later engines went away from it, but I don't think it was to do with lack of power.  Hard to keep that thin piece of metal cool I suppose.
07 Jan 2024 14:43 #68

Replied by pahiker on topic SC500 build

When I used Wiseco prolite pistons in my CR500s, they contained instructions on drilling 3 small holes to lubricate/cool the section of piston that slid over the exhaust port bridge. Heck of a thing to drill holes in your new shiny piston, lol. If you go that route you should see if that's still a recommendation. I ran a number of those pistons with 3 extra holes and had no issues, but that was probably `93 or `94 through the early 2000s.
1973 Yamaha RT3
2024 Suzuki DR650
2023 Triumph Tiger 1200 GT Pro
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Knutco11
07 Jan 2024 16:54 #69

Replied by RT325 on topic SC500 build

A GYT DT1 cylinder i used in later years [not back in the day] had a Wiseco or LA Sleeve--sleeve. It was a nice sleeve made out oif what looked realy good material & lasted forever.
But it had a bridge & an extra wide exhaust port. So 'me' knowing more than 'them'--or not--i decided to remove the bridge.
Then thought hell that's a wide port, hope it hangs together.
It went well & was never a problem.
I think i used DT1MX piston kit not the GYT kit piston.
GYT piston had a parallel ring & i'm pretty sure the DT1MX was keystone tapered.
07 Jan 2024 17:46 #70

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart