facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

rough running

• wayno
  • wayno's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

rough running was created by wayno

1976 dt400c runs ok on stop but take it up the road and it's awful, here's what's been done, strip and rebuild, new piston etc, carb rebuild, bike runs ok on stop under load and it stutters and surges, checked the breather, same. new ignition coil,same. disconnected the ignition switch,same. disconnected the kill switch,same. have taken the carb off for a mate to look at as I am not convinced all is OK with it, before I took it of I could see maybe an inch or more of fuel in the clear pipe, when the pipe came off the fuel tap the level dropped straight into the carb leading me to think it's not breathing properly, if nothing shows up with the carb he reckons maybe the stator needs rebuilding.
20 Jul 2020 09:33 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic rough running

That sounds like a symptom of a plugged gas cap vent. Can you safely run it with cap loose or off to see if it helps?
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
20 Jul 2020 11:33 #2

• wayno
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by wayno on topic rough running

Yeah it's clear, tried it after clearing it and fuel runs freely.
20 Jul 2020 11:47 #3

Replied by run103 on topic rough running

what kind of air filter are you using and if you use a stock airbox how much oil is on it
Doug
20 Jul 2020 15:11 #4

• wayno
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

It's a uni filter, stock airbox and as for oil I sprayed aerosol oil all over until it was covered but not dripping
20 Jul 2020 15:57 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic rough running

First & only thought at this stage without dissecting things too much is Exhaust & the spark arrestor deep in the tail muffler & build up where the tail muffler fits into the main pipe. I'll go read the story again.
Yep i'll still stand by my guesswork. Also, fit a black fuel hose so you can't see what's going on, seriously.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: retired jet mech
Last edit: 20 Jul 2020 17:13 by RT325.
20 Jul 2020 17:11 #6

• wayno
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Ok will remove the muffler tomorrow when I get a chance, I removed the arrestor, blasted clean and repacked as part of the restoration.

why the black pipe?
Last edit: 20 Jul 2020 17:29 by wayno.
20 Jul 2020 17:28 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic rough running

black pipe so you can't see & won't worry as they do bubble away & look half full & all that. I'm sure its why they don't run clear hoses originally. That goes for oil pipes as well. What you can;t see you won't worry about--especially if its running ok, but i realize yours is not. If they had a clear float bowl there'd be a party going on in there with vibration but mostly on top of the fuel not at the jet where its submersed. Also, i think you said you repacked the spark arrestor, but 'That' is deep down past anything re-packable in the end. Look deep down in & there's a twirly jet engine thingy & you can't see right through it as is angled & do get lumps of carbon trapped there. Anyway--just my thoughts & not easy without being there or hearing an audio. Bad exhaust restriction will kill any performance in stages of severity depending how restricted.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: DaveHunter, wayno
20 Jul 2020 17:54 #8

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic rough running

Wayne

Humour me here(!), but is there any difference if you a) ride around without the airbox lid on and b) without the air filter in place? Obviously don't ride too far without the air filter!

I can't remember if you bought UK bike or import, but pretty sure that UK bikes don't have the spark arrestor.
21 Jul 2020 00:56 #9

• wayno
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

yeah it's an import, will try without the air filter when I get the carb back.
21 Jul 2020 03:18 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart