facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Re:Shifting issues

Replied by yamahoper on topic Shifting issues

Although that could not create an intermittent problem .
02 Jul 2020 05:11 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimmyboy
  • Jimmyboy's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Jimmyboy on topic Shifting issues

So I pulled the plunger plug at the bottom to see if spring and rod were in place. Everything was in order. With rod out , I moved shift shaft up /down to see if maybe it might correct itself. But the problem remains. I fired it up and rode it , but it is in second and if you go up a half click Up it’s in some kind of neutral. Will not go into 3rd or 1st.
06 Jul 2020 07:22 #12

Replied by MarkT on topic Shifting issues

Bummer. Plunger and detent is the first and easy thing to check but it sounds like you're going to have to pull the clutch cover and clutch to check the sector gear timing.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
06 Jul 2020 09:00 #13

• Jimmyboy

I’ll take a look inside there and report back.
06 Jul 2020 11:56 #14

• Jimmyboy

Ok I pulled the right side clutch cover off. This hadn’t been off since bike was made! Brutally hard to get off! Pulled clutch hub out of the way and from what I see about setting the teeth on shaft that it looks ok? I’m missing something here. Owner told me that it would only shift to first and go into neutral when I came to buy it, but I got on it and it worked perfectly. Then it acted up on me which is why I pulled cover, except it’s in 2nd gear and goes into a mystery neutral. Maybe the guy didn’t know it was in second when it acted up on him? And why did it start to work perfectly and then start to have problems again. I don’t know?

I moved the shifter and watched the shift drum click into gear, but when I tried to go up another gear it’s like the shift drum isn’t in correct place for the paw to click into it? Here’s some pics. Maybe you gurus can see something that I’m missing?
10 Jul 2020 18:09 #15

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic Shifting issues

Ok, so the mystery remains. If you're changing up or down as you have it there you'll need to twiddle the main shaft a bit to feel the dogs in. May strike one or two gears that engage without help but only a luck thing if the dogs line up. that said--do you feel a definite click as the plunger holds it into gear on the drum cam the spring loaded plunger forces into.
10 Jul 2020 18:44 #16

If all else fails you might have to go right inside. Can't think what could go wrong in there in the way you're describing unless one dog has broken off a gear & got in the way of selectors moving sideways. Highly unlikely but i did have that on a brand new YZ400F "79 be unlikely on yours as its survived this long i suppose & only a recent issue. Maybe removed the gearchange shaft just to look in & around the claw arm & drum end for an obstruction--unlikely--but. I think it'd be too hard to turn the drum with a screwdriver when you have the shaft out & claw arm off as you'd be trying to turn the drum over the high point of the cam & plunger so don't be tricked by that. Could remove the plunger & spring then while twirling the main shaft back & forth it should be easy to screwdriver the drum through all 5 gears, although without the plunger you'll be only guessing each gear, But you should be able to go right through the range without an issue--unless there's an internal problem.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jimmyboy
10 Jul 2020 18:59 #17

• Jimmyboy

So the feeling with it apart is the same as it was together . When I hit the shift lever it rotates the shift drum. The paw grabs it and moves it once . Reverse the shift and it moves it back where it started.
How does the screw adjuster work? Does it tighten the clearance with the paw to shift drum.?
10 Jul 2020 18:59 #18

Replied by MarkT on topic Shifting issues

The manual in the tech library has detailed troubleshooting and adjustment instructions.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jimmyboy
10 Jul 2020 19:35 #19

No15 in the link is the stop bolt. In a DT1 or any of the earlier 250-360 models 'that' bolt is eccentric & adjustable for maximum movement. On your model it's Not adjustable. Unlikely --But-- if it had landed on the gearlever against a rock in an accident then that bolt might get bent. If you replaced it with one from a DT1-RT3 then you could alter it for more travel. That only half works because adjusting it one way takes movement from the other direction. The other screw No11 'is' eccentric to set the clearance to equal movement before it hooks the pin either way. Like-if you moved the gear lever up & down & had say 10mm upwards to touch the pin & 5mm moving it down to the pin then 'that' screw can be rotated to get equal free movement till pin is contact in both directions. Your stop bolt is highly unlikely to be bent. I'd pull the claw arm out & see if there's some foreign object restricting the movement. If you're testing it through the gears by gear lever without motor running--Or by turning the drum with all the moving bits out, you need to turn one shaft enough to feel the gears in. If the bike is assembled & you are sitting on the bike without motor running you would still need to rock it forward & back a fraction to get through all of the gears.
www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/50...09bc7849d6/shifter-2
After my confusing essay I'm thinking that its going to be an internal job, or will be if nothing obvious in where you are.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2020 02:12 by RT325.
11 Jul 2020 02:06 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart