facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

400 cylinder on 250 bottom end possible?

• Markymark
  • Markymark's Avatar Topic Author

400 cylinder on 250 bottom end possible? was created by Markymark

Hi all,

​​​​will a 77-79 dt400 cylinder fit onto a 77-79 dt250 bottom end?

Has anyone tried making their 250 a 400? with a cylinder, conrod and piston?
01 Jan 2024 23:56 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic 400 cylinder on 250 bottom end possible?

Lots to consider & i'd say No without researching.
First thing is look online at the base gasket & my bet is 400 is a lot bigger so it all ends there.
Sorry about that.
I made a 280 out of a 250. Then made a 325 out of a 360 swapping cranks "just because i wanted to".
But 250 cylinder stayed on 250 cases & same with 360 cylinder staying on 360 cases & just swapping cranks.
That's the short story but was more involved than 'that'. Like your train of thought though. Cheers.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
02 Jan 2024 13:55 #2

Replied by Knutco11 on topic 400 cylinder on 250 bottom end possible?

The more I think about it, I'm getting curious how that 280 concoction worked out?  250 cylinder with the 360 crank?  Compression "could" stay the same, but the "charge" would be more forceful, in a sense boosting the intake charge.  Did you have to make a cylinder spacer, or get a custom piston made?
And on the topic of the later dt250/400's, I wonder if the 400 crank would come close to fitting in the dt250 cases?  Just like your 280cc.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2024 17:57 by Knutco11.
04 Jan 2024 17:54 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic 400 cylinder on 250 bottom end possible?

I'd think "without being there" that the 400 crank wheels would be the same OD as the 250.
They just move the pin out further. which is why my older model interchange easily.
I made a cylinder spacer "i'm curtain".
Think they run the same 214 conrod but of course goes 6mm higher with the extra stroke.
Actualy mine was/is a DT1MX top end so i suppose 'much' more pressure from more stroke. I do a lot of guessing.
I think the ring came close to showing in the inlet at bdc but only visible not fully exposed so ring gap ends were safe.
Must admit i didn't run it much & had it in an R5 twin frame then just used to rip up & down our road experimenting.
Had a homemade chamber exhaust & fair turned on but started building power from lowdown.
Just did it to prove a point--someone said "can't do that" so i had to lol.
So the opposite was the case with the 250 crank in a 360.
I shortened the top of the cylinder 6mm.
Not sure what happend at bdc but think i have a 311 conrod in that but anyway it had 180degrees exhaust duration due to shortening the top. Had piston coming right to the top of course--as you do.
But although it ran sweet it idled like a trials motor & turned on at revs, but lacked compression pressure i guess.
Did plan to do something like get an RT2MX head or RT1MX head & take even get some milled off that & see what good pressure does to it.
Conversely my 280 might end up being too much pressure when used in anger & melt down.
Still plan oneday to fit the 280 in my rat race bike to try down the farm & give it a good workout.
Cylinder needed boring really but i'm sure i had a new piston kit in at the time.
One thing i didn't do is lower the ports on the 280 which i should have as piston goes past the exhaust & transfers at bdc.
But had in mind i might want to revbert it to a 250 oneday but gettin too old to worry now.
Be 20 odd years ago when i did that.
Don't think i ever took a video of that running, too long ago. Before easy videoing was invented haha.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Knutco11
04 Jan 2024 21:26 #4

I'm very intrigued by the 280 build to say the least.  Have you ever heard of good things, from a bore x stroke setup that is even?  70x70.  I've been told that's the best way, but I don't exactly know why.  Back to my comment on the compression staying the same..  the exhaust port doesn't change, and the piston height stays the same related to the cylinder, the cranking or "static" compression would stay the same.  It would use the extra stroke to boost the intake charge, if that makes any sense.
05 Jan 2024 07:57 #5

The longer crank would help extract more power from the power stroke I suppose too.  Could see where pipe design would be thrown right out the window though, cuz you'd probably exhaust more of the intake charge than stock.
05 Jan 2024 08:04 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart