facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And a New Candidate Enters The TK Household.

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic And a New Candidate Enters The TK Household.

How did you decoke it?
Sneezles61
19 Sep 2023 14:47 #71

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic And a New Candidate Enters The TK Household.

Went in the lye bath.  Soaked afterwards in neat TFR, blown out with steam, then a quick dip in the derust tank.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
Last edit: 20 Sep 2023 02:06 by Tinkicker.
20 Sep 2023 02:03 #72

Replied by automan on topic And a New Candidate Enters The TK Household.

Stove-Brite paint!

cliff
20 Sep 2023 02:45 #73

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Feckity feckit feck it all.

Tried some new hycote super duper high tech extreme temp satin black paint.

It has dried to a very matt looking, mid grey colour. Looks like the inside of a self cleaning oven.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

It looks absolutely pants.  Whoever decided it was a satin black needs a white stick and a Labrador to help him cross the road.
The exhaust has an appointment with the blast cabinet tomorrow lunchtime and my usual PJ1 fast black paint is ordered.
What can I say, tried to save a couple of quid and got burned.

Buy cheap, buy twice.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
Last edit: 20 Sep 2023 13:07 by Tinkicker.
20 Sep 2023 13:03 #74

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Well the RXS100 cable was the right length and we now have a front brake.  The barrel nipple on the bottom was a 8 x 8mm instead of a 8 x 10mm.
A trip to the vice with the brake cam lever to close the fork by 2mm sorted that.

The fly in the ointment is the slightly overlong aftermarket speedo cable.  It gets in the way of the brake cable in the cable guide on the forks.  Not a biggie, but stuff like that annoys me every time I see it.

21 Sep 2023 04:51 #75

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Another piece of the puzzle drops into place rather unexpectedly...

Bearing for the sprocket carrier arrived, rear sprocket arrived and the assembly was duly put together with a new collar that goes twixt bearing and the chain puller, the old one worn rounded at one end.  I put it down to the carrier nut being left loose to facilitate the lazy mans way of chain adjustment as mentioned earlier in the thread.

​​​​​On stripping the sprocket carrier, I took note of the seal size and ordered a replacement, which arrived today.

Whistling a happy tune I went to fit it.. What the bleedin hell, the collar would not fit through.  Collar was waay too large.

I looked at the number on the new seal.  26x42x8.  I looked at the number on the old seal... 26x42x8.
I scratched my head a bit and picked up my calipers to measure the collar.  30mm.
​​​​​​My new collar must be incorrect then, picked up the old one...30mm.

Hmm.  It all becomes clear. 
Someone has fitted the wrong size seal in the past and forced the old collar in. Instead of the seal rotating on the collar, it gripped and rotated the collar against the chain puller.

New seal of correct size ordered.  Ces't la vie.

Collar has been rotating against that chain puller for a fair while..

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Sneezles61
Last edit: 22 Sep 2023 09:50 by Tinkicker.
22 Sep 2023 09:48 #76

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Not having much luck with paint at all.  Removed the rear wheel bearings to clean and relube.  Had to order new because they were rusty and felt horrible.  No point in even trying fresh lube.  A waste of grease.

Came to clean up the hub ready to paint, rubbing my hands raw in the process getting my hands through the spokes to sand the drum outer.
Thoroughly degreased everything with another wipe with soap and water, followed by a spray of brake cleaner and then dried off thoroughly by heating to barely touchable temp with a blowlamp and allowed to cool for 20 minutes.

Got a recently arrived, brand new can of my favourite Tough Back satin paint out, shook it up for a couple of minutes and sprayed.  It immediately laid a coat of blisters down.   They look suspiciously like water blisters.

I think the paint in the can is contaminated with water. 

All that prep work ruined.

Feckity feck.

24 Sep 2023 06:19 #77

Rustoleum Hard Hat paint is available in tins to apply with a brush or spray gun, and aerosol cans. Its grear for bike related work, and on things like frames doesn't need an undercoat.

Its brilliant for jobs like restoring old machine tools, and is cheaper and easier than the enamel paints that are commonly used. One aerosol is more than enough for a small lathe.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2023 08:41 by Yamfan.
24 Sep 2023 07:29 #78

Replied by hackman101 on topic And a New Candidate Enters The TK Household.

I must say your tenacity to plow through the problems is commendable. I am have a bit of a time working on my project, doing , what seems like everything twice if not 3 times, just get, not perfect but acceptable work which that kills me. When my post regarding the project disappeared for whatever reason, was kinda like the temporary nail that was put into the coffin of not posting my latest trials. I will get back at it again. This forum is the greatest still.
1973 MX250
Past rides 45 years ago (and longer)
1964 Honda 50cc C110
1960s Yamaha 65cc scooter
1960s Honda 65cc w/ 90cc engine mashup
1971 DT1-E modified to MX kinda...
24 Sep 2023 13:12 #79

Hackman101, your thread should be back again.  yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/rest...-73-mx250-renovation
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu
24 Sep 2023 16:14 #80

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart