facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

The Trials of The Vintage Motorcycle Restorer. A Grand Tale of Woe.

Are the spokes painted silver? Hope not, as thats a hassle to sort out.
28 Jun 2023 00:46 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Needle; I don't quite understand why you are commenting and advising on pictures taken and problems resolved well over 12 months ago (actually I do know and so does everyone else, but I will let that slide).. Also, no the spokes are new.

This is a thread detailing an historic rebuild of the devil bike in question, put up here entirely for the amusement of others and poking fun at my misfortune..  I am not doing this to massage my ego, I was a fool to buy the bike on the strength of pictures and faith in a fellow motor industry professional and I am documenting again for others amusement just how I am paying the price for breaking my own rule.

This is not what is happening to the bike currently, the bike is complete apart from some odd teething problems I am having trouble resolving (nobody knows everything) as can be seen on the other thread you comment on.

I thought the fact that this was an historical thread was made clear in the preamble. I was a senior motorcycle technician and motorcycle fleet manager for well over 12 years as was also made clear on the other thread; this is not my first rodeo.

To remove all doubt and to make it absolutely crystal clear, this is the bike as it stands today.  

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, asco, Ht1kid, LongStride, mtalley11, Jammyyammy, Sneezles61, OldBlue77
Last edit: 28 Jun 2023 04:43 by Tinkicker.
28 Jun 2023 04:24 #22

Not sure about a "motor industry professional" deciding to rebuild wheels, using silver painted spokes? Was that the case?
28 Jun 2023 04:54 #23

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Takes deep breath, shakes head and walks away. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mtalley11, Sneezles61, OldBlue77
Last edit: 28 Jun 2023 09:54 by Tinkicker.
28 Jun 2023 05:36 #24

I was asking if your "fully restored" bike had silver painted spokes? Sorry if that has offended you in some way, but one of your pics seemed to show painted spokes.
28 Jun 2023 06:14 #25

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
I suggest you go back to the post after your spoke comment, re read it and inwardly digest the first paragraph.  You had your answer right there, but you did not bother to read it, just like it is obvious you never bother to read any post fully.
You half read them, form your own assumptions (usually in favour of your ego showing the rest of us just how smart you are), and spout very little that is helpful or appropriate.

Please stay away from my threads.  I neither want nor require your input.
​​​​​​
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mtalley11, Sneezles61, OldBlue77
Last edit: 28 Jun 2023 10:05 by Tinkicker.
28 Jun 2023 07:13 #26

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Sorry for that little spat guys.  Not pretty and I should not have done it, but his constant needling was winding the duck out of me.

In case our US cousins have no idea what needling is and why I started calling him needle..  Oxford English Dictionary:

needle
verb  [ T ]
   informalUK  /ˈniː.dəl/ US  /ˈniː.dəl/

to  annoy  someone,  especially  by  repeated   criticism :
His  mother  was always needling him about getting a  job .
Last edit: 28 Jun 2023 08:11 by Tinkicker.
28 Jun 2023 07:15 #27

"At least I was not about to be struggling with a seized in pivot bolt. I had come across two badly neglected TY175s in my previous life as a motorcycle techie with seized solid pivot bolts. Took hours with an acetylene torch to get them out."

Lol
28 Jun 2023 08:11 #28

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Back to the thread....

Engine removed and cases split with a great deal of trepidation.  Were all the gears going to be present?  Was I about to find the guy was a compulsive liar and the bike had actually spent 40 years getting hammered around a field with no oil in the transmission by a gang of delinquents?

​​​​​​Did not need to worry, everything inside those cases told me that the history of the bike was true.  All the bearings apart from the mains were smooth and rust free.  Happy to re use them.

Praise the Lord.

Clutch basket.  No wear on the fingers.

clutch boss.  No apparent wear on friction surface or inner disc lands.

Gears and Axles.  No wear, one or two slight corrosion pits on some of the gears, but nothing to worry about.  Absolutely no wear marks where the gearbox sprocket sits.  Very happy that this bike has done less than 2000 miles.

The gear selector forks have seen very few gearchanges.  So why is it not changing down the box?

Last edit: 28 Jun 2023 09:55 by Tinkicker.
28 Jun 2023 08:39 #29

Everyone, just a reminder that this site is for sharing our enjoyment and experiences (mostly related to Yamaha Enduros).  And also to help others if we can.  

I've greatly enjoyed reading this "trails and tribulations" thread.  And I understand some of the frustrations expressed.  With that in mind, I'd like to ask a couple of favors:

1.  Let's let Tinkicker tell his story.
2. Remember that "personal attacks" are one of the only things that are not tolerated on this forum.  I'm respectfully requesting that anyone who may have posted a personal attack please go back and edit your posts.

Some of you may remember that years ago I let another member get under my skin.  I would post something like reminding someone to check their spark plug gap and this person might respond with something like a post stating you should NEVER adjust the plug gap because the ground electrode will break off and destroy the engine.  I took those "contrary" posts as personal attacks and it made me angry! 

The thing was, they weren't really "personal attacks" (as in "name calling"), they were simply posting their opinions on the topic.  And they had a right to do that....  Their intentions could have been nothing but good as well...  There are groups that will argue the world is flat and they truly believe warning you about falling off the edge of the earth is helpful! 

It's impossible to tell the true intentions of a post or the person posting it.

One thing that is always certain is that the truth remains the truth whether you believe it or not.  BS needs to be fed constantly or it dies. 

If someone truly believes the earth is flat, you probably won't get them to stop expressing that opinion.  It is their truth.  Don't take it personally.  Simply ignore them if you believe differently.

If someone is scheming to get under your skin by stating the world is flat to get a reaction, same solution.  Don't take it personally.  Simply ignore them.  In this case they will likely go away because BS needs to be fed or it can't survive. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: jims175, 2fishkev, RT325, JGersh, Schu, Ht1kid, LongStride, Pete-RT1, mtalley11, Jammyyammy, Sneezles61, Tinkicker, rsmith56
28 Jun 2023 09:50 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart