facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Alternative kick start

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Alternative kick start was created by Gr8uncleal

Sorry, being really lazy here, but has anyone had any success with replacing the standard CT1/DT3/RT2 kick start lever with something like one from a RD, XS etc? I'm thinking about having a less confined space to do the kicking!

Thanks.
14 Nov 2023 08:35 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Alternative kick start

I guess you mean DT1 [CT1?] i've used one i'm sure was off an XS650 on one of mine but i can't find a pic of the bike right now. Was very thick at the base, think lever too.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal
14 Nov 2023 12:57 #2

Replied by LongStride on topic Alternative kick start

I have used a YZ kicker on my RT2, those don't come around often , the leverage and kick position is better  from the YZ version, some have interface issues where the bolt can hit on the clutch cover 
2ET703 Central Texas
16 Nov 2023 15:38 #3

Replied by DaveHunter on topic Alternative kick start

Hi Al , coincidentally those models are currently in front of me getting prepped for winter storage ! That stubby and short kickstart takes some positioning and planning before committing your foot to it. If the thing were a little longer at least your toe wouldn’t hit the footrest …..
 Swapped it out with the one on the R5 (assuming it’s similar to the RD models)  and more leverage / more outward positioning (perhaps too far ) but can only bolt on in about the10 o’clock dial due to the CT having a clutch houseing a lot closer to the kickstart shaft. Some grinding on the kickstart would allow it to mount higher. As is only getting a partial kick.
 Next looked at the XS 650 kicker it’s an impressive hunk of metal there would be a wicked amount of cutting and grinding to get that baby in there and afraid it would dwarf the motor
 So far we have one potential replacement that is almost too graceful and stylish for a CT and another that overpowers the motor in sheer bulk, IMO
  No RT here but a ‘74 DT 360. Probably the best style kicker ever in looks , design and functionality, IMO
Again the problem of making where it bolt’s on clearance on the clutch housing but that could possibly be worked out.
  If I had a spare the sparks would fly.

16 Nov 2023 16:51 #4

Replied by DaveHunter on topic Alternative kick start

Update / DT 360 fits on shaft but only goes on about 3/4  of the way before contacting clutch housing. May work after removing some metal on it . It’s a pretty robust piece / so likely doable. If I had a spare I’d go for it here
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal
16 Nov 2023 17:13 #5

Replied by RT325 on topic Alternative kick start

Here's an XS650 type on my 360 from years ago.
Might be a slight difference in how the cover steps out compared to 250.
Looking at the pic i wonder if it's touching the filler cap & if the exhaust shield would also stop it 'quite' getting to the ball bearing detent.
Too long ago.

photos.app.goo.gl/NKJzdFdAiuQpP4P18
photos.app.goo.gl/ku81jyvsNSEUDbCj8
16 Nov 2023 17:57 #6

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Alternative kick start

Thanks for the replies, gents.

I have RDs, R5 and DT360 that I can (temporarily) remove kick starts from and present up to the RT etc. However, I was after the advice of anyone who has tried this previously and this is what you have provided, so thanks again. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

17 Nov 2023 01:05 #7

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Alternative kick start

GR8 uncla Al, keep us updated. I was almost thinking of cutting off my toes and boots so I wouldn’t hit the foot peg… as if there isn’t enuff issues starting the old grey mule to begin with! (:
Sneezles61
17 Nov 2023 04:55 #8

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Alternative kick start

Either that, or always park near a hill, so that it can be bumped!

I'm also working towards fitting another decompression valve, but am awaiting news on a M10 to M14 converter before I can progress this.

If I sound like a wuss, bike and football (soccer) mishaps in my youth led to my right leg being bust in five places - I am therefore very nervous (perhaps unnecessarily so) about potential kickback.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
17 Nov 2023 05:10 #9

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart