facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Cylinder Head Conditions

• Tinkicker
  • Tinkicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Cylinder Head Conditions was created by Tinkicker

I think you are overthinking things.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Ht1kid
19 Oct 2023 14:23 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by msavitt on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

Condition of head sounds pretty typical….some black crunchy oily stuff is what I find in mine. 

how does the cylinder look when piston is all the way down?

a picture would be great 
19 Oct 2023 17:34 #2

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

>>>>You're right, Tinkicker; I shouldn't ask questions in a forum. Everyone here is an expert and there are absolutely no newbies to these bikes and I should let others browbeat me into staying in my lane.<<<

Whoa.

Browbeat - verb - intimidate (someone), typically into doing something, with stern or abusive words.

Number one. Nobody is browbeating anybody. Except you. 

I am sorry to have caused you offence.  It was not intentional.
It was a tongue in cheek answer and not one I expected any offence to be taken from.  It was certainly not stern or abusive.  Your response on the other hand...

Number two. I said you are overthinking it because you are. If it runs fine and the plug is the right colour, and you already admitted you have access to the colour charts to check, then it will probably be fine.  
You run it to test it and make use of whatever non invasive monitoring system you have at your disposal. In your case, a plug spanner,  your ears, your eyes, your backside, a revcounter and a speedo
If it does not break down you are golden.  If it dies you have your answer.  This is industry standard procedure.

Number three. How can anyone possibly answer your question when you give absolutely no information.

We do not know how many miles it has done.
We do not know if it was ridden flat out.
We do not know if it was idling for three hours.
We do not know if you are running premix or pump.
We do not know if you are running old sump oil in the gas or fully synthetic in the tank or visa versa.
We do not know because it is not common to take an engine apart just "to look" unless there is a specific reason to do so.
We do not know the circumstances that prompted you to take the engine apart in the first place.

There are a lot of do not knows there.  How can you expect any response other than a tongue in cheek one?

I could ask a similar question of the forum to yours.

Is the paint on my living room wall waterproof? Here is a pic.

Once again.  I have no intention of browbeating you.  I am merely pointing out the errors that led to this sorry episode.
Your abusive, passive aggressive response certainly intimidated me into spending quite a period of my life defending myself and engaging in an action I was not expecting to have to take.

​​
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
Last edit: 19 Oct 2023 22:25 by Tinkicker.
19 Oct 2023 21:29 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

Have you cleaned the piston & not the head.
Looking at the head it just looks like its not being ridden hard enough but could be an indication of a restricted exhaust.
Give us a bit of history of it please. What caused you to lift the head.
I wouldn't go reading the plug color until you're sure the motor is good so far as rings, exhaust, & oil pump setting goes, otherwise your plug will give a false indication.
Not than i'm an expert as i've never done a plug chop for color/ mixture reading.
Also crank seals come into it especialy right side from an oil point of view, but only if its using trans oil.
On the face of it she looks like it needs a good run.
But prsonaly i'd lift the cylinder now ya that close. What was the reason you pulled the head in the first place.
Looking at the gasket i wonder how tight the head bolts were.
19 Oct 2023 23:18 #4

Replied by msavitt on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

I am not an expert, but if the Bike runs then I see no issue to worry about
per Mr. RT you might want to check exhaust port and if it doesn't rev up burn out the exhaust pipe, but looks like a nicely worn in cylinder to me.  Looks like a dykes ring on top judging by the piston top
20 Oct 2023 07:24 #5

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

Trailboss wrote: .............Can you guys list in here what different conditions of the cylinder heads mean? How to read what's going on by the shape a cylinder head is in?...............

The answer to both questions is no...  especially under the circumstances and information you gave...  Nothing was mentioned about the engine not starting, running poorly, mileage, making noise, etc. in your original post.  Since then, you've confirmed the head was only removed to check the timing. (Read the owner's manual, you're probably due for a decarbonization).  Under these circumstances, everything I wrote so far could be condensed down to a simple "you're overthinking things".   Or as MSavitt said a little differently "if the Bike runs then I see no issue to worry about".

Could a more detailed response by Tinkicker been given?  Certainly.  But as one who often does just that, the truth is many people get very offended when I try to explain "basics" to them.  And many seem to get offended if the answer is not what they want to hear.  And then we have the complication of the "Internet experts" who post complete BS at times to sound smart or something?  (Not so much on this forum..but I'm sure you can find an "expert" out there that will claim they can read cylinder head carbon without any other information like a fortune teller reads tea leaves.)

Bottom line, Trailboss, is your "attack" on Tinkicker was not acceptable  He simply expressed his opinion.  Please edit your response or delete it. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Tinkicker
20 Oct 2023 09:28 #6

Replied by automan on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

Dykes for sure.

Yamaha used dykes?

cliff
20 Oct 2023 11:31 #7

Replied by RT325 on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

Come back OP please & let's start again. Fresh start!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid, msavitt, Tinkicker
20 Oct 2023 14:45 #8

• Tinkicker
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

Indeed. Give us a bit more info so we can try help you.

Just like a medic diagnosing a patient, we need every bit of info you can think of.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325
20 Oct 2023 16:52 #9

Replied by automan on topic Cylinder Head Conditions

Gone, like so much info.
21 Oct 2023 10:06 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart