facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Newbie Here. Starting Complete Rebuild of 1973 DT 125B

• Stephen Brenton
  • Stephen Brenton's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Stephen Brenton on topic Newbie Here. Starting Complete Rebuild of 1973 DT 125B

I can't see any markings on the cylinder though.
07 Mar 2023 12:42 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stephen Brenton

Replied by Stephen Brenton on topic Newbie Here. Starting Complete Rebuild of 1973 DT 125B

I have completely disassembled the entire bike and now want to start rebuilding it. In the meantime, I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease which is making the whole process more difficult az the meds they gave me make my concentration poor. So, where to start? Do I take all the frame components in for sandblasting and painting? I just don't know what the first steps will be. Also, hope to do most of the assembly myself, but does anyone have a very rough idea of what it might cost to put back together? Of course, we don't know what new parts I will need but the main structural components seem to be in good shape and just need a cleanup and repainting
14 Jan 2024 17:08 #12

• RT325
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi, very sorry to read of your diagnosis & just had a read of your previous post to get a handle on what's been going on with your bike up until now.
Sounds like a bit of a mixture with a "78 motor.
I'm no good at resto's but others will be along with all the good info on how to go about it.
Best wishes from us all & love to see pics sometime if you're able to post by "imgur" or some other way.
16 Jan 2024 03:04 #13

Your on the right track, prep the frame, get it painted, get the wheels back on it, once you have a roller it will.start coming together, got of luck and keep us posted on your progress 
2ET703 Central Texas
16 Jan 2024 06:27 #14

welcome from OC CA and congrats on tearing into the new bike!
you came to the right place to learn from some very experienced people too
lots of new treatments for Parkinson's, so make sure you find a neurologist who's up on the latest, and working on a bike is also theraputic IMO. 

Personally, I like your approach of stripping bike all the way down, cleaning, painting, reconditioning all the bits upon reassembly.  I use CSMNL and Partzilla and the manuals on this site to insure that it all goes back precisely as it left the factory, both for fun and for safety and reliability reasons.  I also enjoy hunting down all the missing bits on eBay, you will be surprised just how many little and important parts can go missing over 50 years!

Good luck with the bike!
16 Jan 2024 08:15 #15

• Stephen Brenton

So for the frame, would I just sand it down to bare metal then take it in for painting at a body shop, or do I need to sandblast it first? Are there places that specialize in painting motorcycle parts and frames?
16 Jan 2024 10:05 #16

I have done my chassis components by thoroughly cleaning and sanding as needed, and I have also sandblasted to bare metal.  I have painted all my frames, but they do scratch easily as you put things back together. My approach is driven by cost. I try and do this hobby as cheap as possible and still end up with decent results.

Most here seem to go with powder coating and no doubt the appearance and durability is way better than paint. This is the fun part. You get to do it any way you want to.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
16 Jan 2024 13:44 #17

• Stephen Brenton

OK, thanks for that. I guess I could just use sanding and paint stripper to remove as much paint as possible rather than sandblasting. Do you think that would work? What would happen if I left little bits of paint on the frame and other components?
16 Jan 2024 14:05 #18

• Stephen Brenton

....also, should I powder coat the frame of just paint it?

16 Jan 2024 14:26 #19

The only time I strip it down to bare metal is when I take all my parts to my in-laws machine shop and borrow his sandblaster.

Otherwise I sand and wire brush the rough spots and simply scuff up the spots that are still in good shape.

Then I prime and paint.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
16 Jan 2024 15:14 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart