facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Please.....help me

Please.....help me was created by Noble

Alrighty, here's the story!! So after setting my timing and getting my  rt2 running, I giddily tried shifting into first aaaand.....zilch. Does anybody know how I can go about troubleshooting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Edit: I just thought I should add that the shift lever moves up and down nice and clicky. It does run so I'm thinking of taking a look at the clutch and seeing if it's stuck on.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 17:52 by Noble.
05 Aug 2022 17:01 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tom P on topic Please.....help me

When you say you shift into first, are you pulling in the clutch, shifting into first, and the engine dies? If so, you probably have a stuck clutch. You could check the adjustments, but if the bike has been sitting for a long time, the plates might just be stuck together.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 18:31 by Tom P.
05 Aug 2022 18:28 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic Please.....help me

Can you click it down to first then up through the gears without motor running, just moving the bike forward & back an inch or two for things to line up.
Here's link to the items that come into play. Unless clutch it totaly burnt out or stuck open, but both unlikely causes.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1972/rt2/shifter-a
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1972/rt2/shifter-b
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 18:47 by RT325.
05 Aug 2022 18:42 #3

Replied by Noble on topic Please.....help me

It won't change gears :( . I pull in the clutch lever and push the shift lever down to move into first and it just chills out in neutral despite the rude things I say to it. It has been sitting for a long time though so it wouldn't surprise me if all sorts of things were siezed ( literally pulled it out of a field )
Last edit: 05 Aug 2022 19:16 by Noble.
05 Aug 2022 18:47 #4

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic Please.....help me

When I first got my DT2 it would start up just fine but when I pulled the clutch in, put it in first then let out the clutch I got nothing!  It would even just slightly like it was engaging.  I ended up changing out the clutch friction plates, clutch plates, and clutch cable.  I also changed out the plastic piece (not sure what it's called), in the left side case where the clutch cable goes in, because that was split (see picture), you can get it from KDI if you need it and the adjuster bolt and nut can be found on ebay.  After all that it works great!

2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
06 Aug 2022 02:33 #5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Noble on topic Please.....help me

So I took a little bit of time to look into how the clutch works and I see that it has a little push rod that gets actuated by the clutch lever. My question is..... Is that push rod supposed to be able to move deeper into the clutch? I'd imagine, if its goal was to compress clutch plates together, there would be a bit of play into and out of the shaft.....mine just kinda doesn't do that. Is that normal and I have to keep researching until I understand clutches better? Or is there supposed to be movement in there that isn't?
06 Aug 2022 10:54 #6

If you're talking about the push rod on the left side it actually pushes the clutch disks apart, disengages it, and no there shouldn't be any play and you can't push it in by hand. 
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
06 Aug 2022 11:04 #7

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Please.....help me

Yes, there should be a little movement there. Undo the locking nut and screw/unscrew as necessary.
06 Aug 2022 11:06 #8

Replied by Tom P on topic Please.....help me

You can't push the rod with your hand, there's a little worm drive mechanism in the side cover that pushes it in. What it does is actually uncompress the plates , which are held together with springs However even if it pushes and your plates are stuck together, the clutch will still not disengage.

What I did when I first got my CT-1 running, and I don't recommend you do this, is I held the brakes as I sat on the bike, revved the engine, pulled the clutch in and pushed it into first. That broke the plates free. But again, I wouldn't recommend that, as you could break something. Eventually I took the right side cover off and rebuilt the clutch, is which is probably what you're going to have to do. As it was, it was slipping quite a bit when I was riding.
06 Aug 2022 11:11 #9

What the OP described in his first post is exactly what I had when I first got my DT2, I replaced everything from the clutch cable to the worm gear to the clutch disks, I now have a perfectly functioning clutch...

EDIT:  his problem is not the sticking, he has no clutch.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
Last edit: 06 Aug 2022 11:15 by AirborneSilva.
06 Aug 2022 11:14 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart