facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

It runs!

• principal282
  • principal282's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

It runs! was created by principal282

It runs! 
thanks to the help of a guy with more skill than me,, the green machine is back to life.. crank seals, more tank cleaning,, and setting points..
here's my next question.  To be road worthy at more tham 20 mph, she needs new tires and the back brakes stick if used.  I live in a really remote area.. how do-able is this myself?  I would rather load it up and go to a shop around 100 mi away.  
I have to get the headlamp working too.. I have a 6w halogen replacement I think should do on the way..
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
18 Jun 2021 06:48 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic It runs!

With a decent set of tyre levers, and a few basic tools to remove the wheels, it isn't too difficult and with the wheels off you can change the brake shoes and lube/grease up the brake pivots.
If you haven't already downloaded the manual, it should be in the tech library.
I'd order replacement inner tubes and a puncture repair kit in case you pinch the tube.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, principal282
18 Jun 2021 08:20 #2

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic It runs!

Yes, you can do it. We can help. I've done probably a dozen tires, and I only wrenched myself once. Change tires on a day when you can leave them outside in the sun all morning. Get them good and hot, like almost too hot to touch. They get really pliable that way. And I use three levers, or spoons we call them here in the states. Take note of how they are shaped, and make sure, then, that you go spoon bowl toward the tire to get under the bead and lift the tire up and over the rim, and use the spoon bowl down against the rim to lift the bead up and over the rim to install the new tire. Get one spoon under the old bead and then tuck that lever into/under a spoke. A foot away, do that again with a second spoon. Again, proceed about a foot, and repeat with the third. The second spoon, now in the middle, should become loose, and you can leapfrog until you raise one side of the tire completely off the rim. Easy peasy after that.
There are several good youtube videos on the subject, too.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, principal282
18 Jun 2021 11:48 #3

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic It runs!

This is a very good tire mounting tool. I put the wheel on a large trash can.

www.bajanopinch.com/baja-no-pinch-ultimate-tire-tool-kit/

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu, principal282
18 Jun 2021 12:42 #4

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart