facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1971 Yamaha RT1 360 fuel tank leak on top....

• XRArin
  • XRArin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi everyone,

I recently discovered a fuel leak issue on my RT1 360 I purchased in Lakewood California. I know if I take it back to have this guy fix it...he may JB weld it but I don't know if that's the right solution. The picture below is my finger pointing to the very seem where the leak is coming from. It looks like the factory didn't weld the steel correctly or??? I need to know how to fix it before it damages the original paint very soon.

**ANY RECOMMODATIONS OR HELP ON HOW I CAN FIX THIS TINY LEAK WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!**

Arin

Last edit: 12 May 2023 09:20 by XRArin.
12 May 2023 09:19 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic 1971 Yamaha RT1 360 fuel tank leak on top....

I think the only way to "fix" it and keep the original paint is to use some fuel tank liner strategically placed on the problem spot. There are pages and pages on preferences for liners including folks saying never do it. If your tank isn't currently lined then get some liner of choice (I recently bought some Redkote for a problem spot but haven't used it yet). Clean all the gas out and prepare like your liner says. Tip the tank up on the end so the trouble spot is down. Use a turkey baster or something to drop some liner on the spot (From the inside of course). If you get it on the hole you should be good. I would only use a little liner on the bad spot and not the whole tank. That spot you show takes abuse from folks jerking the tank off and hitting the tree in the process. Because of the pucks you have to pull back then carefully up. Good luck.
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250
Last edit: 12 May 2023 16:16 by Pedalcrazy.
12 May 2023 16:15 #2

• XRArin
  • XRArin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Pedalcrazy,

I actually know someone who can "redcoat" the inside of the original tank. I got a hold of him and he is willing to do it for me for free! I am tempted to do it myself but don't want to risk damaging anything if I know myself...

In the first place, I was thinking either epoxy or J.B. weld but none of those will work. So the tank will be red coated to make it last a lifetime.

Arin
12 May 2023 19:41 #3

• AirborneSilva
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic 1971 Yamaha RT1 360 fuel tank leak on top....

I would add that you should tape the outside of the tank where the leak is or you could get some sealant leaking out there and ruin the paint...
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pedalcrazy
13 May 2023 01:49 #4

I would probably get some fiberglass resin gas proof just the resin only and fix it from the outside when dry use some touch up paint. I did that to my RD 350 years ago still works fine. I’m not a fan of tank sealer unless it’s the last resort 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
13 May 2023 11:59 #5

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart