facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1970-71 RT-1 ignition timing

• JIMMYT70
  • JIMMYT70's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1970-71 RT-1 ignition timing was created by JIMMYT70

Im using a dial indicator on my 70 RT-1  I have the piston at 2.9 BTDC  and the advance pushed all the way counter clock wise, I set the points where they are just starting to open. but when I rotate the engine to check it . its not even close. what could I be doing wrong. I  am using used points could that be it. 
15 Feb 2023 15:54 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic 1970-71 RT-1 ignition timing

Is the cam follower on the points worn. Compare it to a new one.

Does the advance mechanism move freely without binding and no slop.

Is the stator plate original to the bike. It is different from the other Enduros without the advance mechanism.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
15 Feb 2023 16:15 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic 1970-71 RT-1 ignition timing

Is the crank key broken & flywheel moved. What went on before you decided to set the timing.
15 Feb 2023 20:52 #3

Found this just by googling & has a 'trick' wire clip to hold it on advance, save needing extra help. When you're holding it around can you feel a quite strong spring resisting you.

www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/h...d-setting-the-timing
Last edit: 15 Feb 2023 21:12 by RT325.
15 Feb 2023 21:04 #4

• JIMMYT70
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by JIMMYT70 on topic 1970-71 RT-1 ignition timing

My key is not broken, but i think I could have the wrong stator would like to see a close up pic of a 1970 RT-1 stator
16 Feb 2023 17:59 #5

Advance stator has the points set further out on the plate due to the 'Fat' cam--fat because it has to move on the center. So if you had the wrong stator plate the points would be nearer the center therefor you'd likely not get the flywheel on past the points. Or if it was even possibe you'd have a ]wild guess] 5mm points gap you couldn't close down. I'm saying this all off the cuff without researching but know enough to get myself into trouble haha.
Just a thought though--if you 'did' have the non advance stator then might be cheaper to buy a flywheel for 'that stator' & just kick it good & right from the top against compression & follow right through untill it hits the footrest to avoid kickback. That way you swing it through two compressions although the second one is probably more from inertia at the bottom of the kick stroke.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2023 18:30 by RT325.
16 Feb 2023 18:23 #6

Replied by DEET on topic 1970-71 RT-1 ignition timing

I’m confused. The first post says that the points were set to open at the proper time with the advance engaged. 

If the stator compatibility is in question, how did it get set properly in the first place?

I’m not sure if the “details” of the observed problem have been stated as yet. I read that after setting the timing, something went wrong. What went wrong? Points stopped opening? Opening at the wrong or random times? 

If I read all this wrong, then just ignore me. 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
16 Feb 2023 19:17 #7

Yes DEET, now i'm confused too. I should have read the story fully before opening my mouth. Last line says "using Used points" so wonder if that's the problem if the fiber heal is 'very' worn. Not even sure how far out that'd put it if gap can still be set. I've seen 'once' the point button fall off, although that'd be obvious. Would a very worn fiber heal have the cam contacting the heal later--[nearer to tdc] compared to a longer heal reaching further around the cam so lifting earlier even with the same points gap in both cases. I'm convincing myself--i think lol.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2023 03:56 by RT325.
17 Feb 2023 03:45 #8

• JIMMYT70
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by JIMMYT70 on topic 1970-71 RT-1 ignition timing

I should have been more clear, this RT-1 I bought was in boxes everything but the stator was there, That's why I need to see one so I can match my advance flywheel.
17 Feb 2023 05:30 #9

Replied by MarkT on topic 1970-71 RT-1 ignition timing

I'll say right up front that I probably don't know 10% of what DEET knows about RT-1 ignition systems... and I was confused by first post too.

"Im using a dial indicator on my 70 RT-1  I have the piston at 2.9 BTDC  and the advance pushed all the way counter clock wise, I set the points where they are just starting to open. but when I rotate the engine to check it . its not even close. what could I be doing wrong. I  am using used points could that be it." 

I highlighted in blue where it says "everything was ok"....  1. Piston at correct position BTDC? Yes!  2. Advance locked open? Yes!  3. Points gap adjusted to where they just start to open after 1 and 2 in place?  Yes! 

But then when checked, "it's not even close"?

If the items in blue are actually true, then there can't be anything wrong with the stator or points or crank key or whatever...  what I hear the part in blue saying is points are able to be set to open at the correct time.  If stator was wrong or something then I'd expect the statement to say something like "piston is at 2.9 BTDC with advance locked open and I can't get points to just open at that point."

Can you carefully describe the "checking"...  what exactly are your steps of the "checking" process and what exactly do you see that prompts the comment "not even close"? 

It just doesn't make sense that you're able to set the points opening (timing) perfectly and then it's not set. 

One other question I have is how you're determining when the points open exactly at 2.9mm BTDC with advance locked open?  Meter?  Buzz box?  Eyeball?
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Swoop56, Ht1kid
17 Feb 2023 06:32 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart