facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Too much gearbox/transmission oil

• Hamburger
  • Hamburger's Avatar Topic Author

Too much gearbox/transmission oil was created by Hamburger

Springtime arrives slowly over here but today I went to the shed and gave my '69 DT1 a little check up wether it would be alright for the new season. Checking the gearbox oil I noticed that the gearbox is completely full of oil. I wondered where it came from and the only explanation I found was that some two stroke oil must have found its way into the gearbox over winter as the oil level in the two stroke oil tank has lowered considerably too. I remember filling that up before I stored the bike three months ago.
Looking at the parts list there is one little seal on the oil pump drive shaft (93101-10002 OIL SEAL S-10-22-7) that could be faulty. Has anyone had the same issue? Is it this bad seal or a problem within the oil pump? Any experiences/ideas?

Cheers,

Nils
03 Apr 2015 09:49 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic Too much gearbox/transmission oil

I have not had this issue with the 1968 to 1971 250s or 360s but I have had many issues of this on the 74-76 250,360 or 400,that is two stroke oil leaking into the transmission side of the engine.

on your 1969 DT1 I would suspect that seal is bad. the oil pump drive is on a jack shaft and there is a bushing that supports that shaft and the seal that is in the primary cover. make sure the bushing and oil pump drive shaft has no excessive play or else the replacement seal may not last long. if that bushing is ok,then I would replace the seal and it should solve the issue.

the jack shaft should rotate smoothly in that bushing that goes into the primary cover but should have no axial play in it,no front to back or up and down play. I have heard of those wearing out and cause this but I never experienced it personally. when you get it apart,you should see what I am referring to.

on my 1975 DT400 for example,the oil pump is driven right off the crankshaft and it needs a new seal.if you park it for a few days,it will drain all oil from the oil tank and the 2 stroke oil ends up in the transmission thus over filling the transmission.
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hamburger, Jaydee
Last edit: 03 Apr 2015 10:11 by Bigdog302.
03 Apr 2015 10:08 #2

Replied by Jaydee on topic Too much gearbox/transmission oil

I have same problem with a CT3, when left for long periods, so decided to change the oil seal. I was a little unsure if the original seal had been put in the correct way so trawled for diagrams. (Not sure if there is more pressure at the pump side of the seal or the gearbox side). Think the third diagram just about explains the seal direction, and is the same direction as my original seal, so am opting for that.  Thought diagrams may help someone with any other pump problems.  
25 Nov 2021 03:57 #3

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Too much gearbox/transmission oil

A standard lipped oil seal always faces the fluid it is intended to seal in (the side with the garter spring is the front face). If keeping two fluids apart as with the pump and transmission oils, then it must face the fluid with the higher pressure.

Reason for this is that an oil seal is designed to exert a greater sealing force on the shaft as the pressure on it rises.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jaydee
27 Nov 2021 00:56 #4

Replied by Jaydee on topic Too much gearbox/transmission oil

Great explanation thanks Tinkicker, guessed that was the case, but was a little unsure if the pump or the gearbox was potentially at a greater pressure. Seems the gearbox wins the battle of pressure, as the two stroke oil entering the pump is only gravity fed from the oil tank, whereas the gears and clutch are thrashing the oil around the box.
27 Nov 2021 11:35 #5

Replied by Tinkicker on topic Too much gearbox/transmission oil

No.  In fact to introduce an Americanism. Hell no.  The gearbox has a breather. So it is always at atmospheric pressure.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2021 17:39 by Tinkicker.
27 Nov 2021 17:36 #6

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart